Chris Bacon

Default Transporting long heavy item.

I want to buy a second-hand stair lift for someone. These things are
about 4 metres long, and quite heavy. Has anyone experience of them, and
whether or not they can be dismantled? What's a good way of transporting
one of these, can that length be handled by arsel farce or someone?
Could I stick it in an Estate car & drive with a length sticking out of
the back with a red rag on it? Ideas?
Jeff

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
I want to buy a second-hand stair lift for someone. These things are
about 4 metres long, and quite heavy. Has anyone experience of them, and
whether or not they can be dismantled? What's a good way of transporting
one of these, can that length be handled by arsel farce or someone?
Could I stick it in an Estate car & drive with a length sticking out of
the back with a red rag on it? Ideas?

Hire a van ?

Regards Jeff

Peter Parry

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:28:33 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

I want to buy a second-hand stair lift for someone. These things are
about 4 metres long, and quite heavy. Has anyone experience of them, and
whether or not they can be dismantled?

The ones I have seen are made up in track lengths of about 4-8ft or
so. They can be very difficult to take apart and use a mixture of
Torx, Hex and cross head fittings.

The motor unit and seat can be VERY heavy.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
nightjar

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
I want to buy a second-hand stair lift for someone. These things are about
4 metres long, and quite heavy. Has anyone experience of them, and whether
or not they can be dismantled? What's a good way of transporting one of
these, can that length be handled by arsel farce or someone? Could I stick
it in an Estate car & drive with a length sticking out of the back with a
red rag on it? Ideas?

John Rumm picked a Minivator up from me a few months ago. I had to take the
chair off the transport carriage, which then had to be taken off at the top
of the track. Decide how you will take it apart and where the carriage needs
to be before you start to dismantle it. Moving mine with the hand wheel was
very laborious when compared to using the electric motor, although I did
have to unwind the last bit of chain from it that way.

Make sure that you take careful records of where all the wiring goes. There
will be lots of safety interlocks and lots of wires to go with them. You
should also find one that locks the chair to the track if the drive fails. I
had to tie a spring-loaded jockey wheel back to be able to move the
carriage. John put the track on top of an estate car and the bits inside. He
can probably tell you more about the actual problems of transporting and
installing it. You will only need a long load marker if it overhangs the
rear by more than 1 metre, but then it should be a proper triangular symbol,
rather than just a piece of rag.

Colin Bignell

Andrew Chesters

Chris Bacon wrote:
I want to buy a second-hand stair lift for someone. These things are
about 4 metres long, and quite heavy. Has anyone experience of them, and
whether or not they can be dismantled? What's a good way of transporting
one of these, can that length be handled by arsel farce or someone?
Could I stick it in an Estate car & drive with a length sticking out of
the back with a red rag on it? Ideas?

They are a right cow to dismantle. ISTR the chair comes off the TOP.
Some of the hex bolts I was trying to undo turned out to be rivets
(Don't laugh, it was 'king dark) When you get the chair off you'll
realize how heavy it is. The track too is damned heavy (nearly squashed
my father when we finally got it to move) and it was nearly as long as
the staircase. There was a folding bit at the bottom because of
doorways, which was difficult to remove.

However, it did all go in a Transit.

See other posts re wiring, and it may be worth getting manufacturer in
to install & test. High speed ejector seat anyone?

raden

In message , Chris Bacon
writes
I want to buy a second-hand stair lift for someone. These things are
about 4 metres long, and quite heavy. Has anyone experience of them,
and whether or not they can be dismantled? What's a good way of
transporting one of these, can that length be handled by arsel farce or
someone? Could I stick it in an Estate car & drive with a length
sticking out of the back with a red rag on it? Ideas?

I got one from Boilerdoc John last year

I just lobbed it on the roof rack of my escort van which I presume isn't
much longer than an estate car

How long is your car and how long is the stair lift ?

You can, of course remove the seat and sling it in the back of the car

--
geoff
John Rumm

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

carriage. John put the track on top of an estate car and the bits inside. He
can probably tell you more about the actual problems of transporting and
installing it. You will only need a long load marker if it overhangs the
rear by more than 1 metre, but then it should be a proper triangular symbol,
rather than just a piece of rag.

Transporting was actually pretty straight forward. The track was
actually no longer than SWMBOs car (we let it overhang the back a little
so as to get the supporting point a bit closer to the centre of the track)

It was held on with a couple of ratchet straps. Support was a couple of
roof bars that were mounted on the permanent roof rails of the car.
Total weight was well inside the limits for the car and rails. The whole
lot was very firmly fixed (and seemed to have no objections to a 100+
mile romp at less than legal speeds ;-)

Sorting out power for the beastie took a few hours on arrival (as did
lunch and stuff), we then spent about six hours in total fitting (this
included a couple of unfitting operations to tweak things like track
position (when we worked out the chair was in danger of stripping the
wallpaper when sent up or down unloaded!)

In the case of the minivator the track was simple enough to fix, just by
screwing the mounting brackets to the steps (I had anticipated removing
the carpet under each bracket, but on seeing how it was installed on top
originally I skipped that bit - handy since we moved them more than
once). Getting the chair back on the track was not too difficult,
although as Colin said, did require a fair bit of knob twiddling. Wiring
up was easy enough once you worked out that the numbering in the circus
diagram did not actually match that silk screened on the PCB (well at
one end at least, since it was different at both!). A bit of buzzing out
with a DMM sorted that. Shortly after a large test load (me) was
dispatched for the maiden ascent.

Went back a few weeks later to fit some extra brackets to the track,
because it was proving a little too flexible for its new (one presumes
heavier) user. Full marks to minivator for still stocking (or more
correctly making to order) spare brackets for a non current design.
Deduct marks for wanting 25 quid a shot for them!

All in all one happy bunny of an end user!

--
Cheers,

John.

Rick

wrote:

I want to buy a second-hand stair lift for someone. These things are
about 4 metres long, and quite heavy. Has anyone experience of them, and
whether or not they can be dismantled? What's a good way of transporting
one of these, can that length be handled by arsel farce or someone?
Could I stick it in an Estate car & drive with a length sticking out of
the back with a red rag on it? Ideas?

These things come under the lift & crane regulations and have to be
inspected by the crane inspector .......... you need to be aware of
this if doing a DIY refit.

A 7.5 tonne tail lift box fan will carry one dead easy, you can
probably drive it on your car licence, about 100 quid a day, hire,
insurance and VAT.

Rick