kevin77

Default when will laminate flooring go away?

I know, its trendy because of these TV programmes.
I rent a modern house and its full of it. But its cold as hell (bring
back carpets), no acoustic properties (glad I dont live below it),
attracts muck and to cap it all, getting out of the bath to answer the
phone I went arse over tit and broke my ribs. Flooring from hell! But
its a real industry, is Carol Smillie to blame?

mrcheerful

"kevin77" wrote in message
om...
I know, its trendy because of these TV programmes.
I rent a modern house and its full of it. But its cold as hell (bring
back carpets), no acoustic properties (glad I dont live below it),
attracts muck and to cap it all, getting out of the bath to answer the
phone I went arse over tit and broke my ribs. Flooring from hell! But
its a real industry, is Carol Smillie to blame?

I agree, all the cheapo laminate is foul, and when it has been down a while
and shrunk and curled it looks like old lino.

mrcheerful

Mary Fisher

"kevin77" wrote in message
om...

I know, its trendy because of these TV programmes.

We don't have a tv but we do have some laminate flooring. We don't consider
it trendy either.

I rent a modern house and its full of it. But its cold as hell

It's not (not that Hell is cold, reputedly), we have bare feet indoors.

(bring
back carpets),

With all the filth they store and living cretures they provide a cosy home
for ...

no acoustic properties (glad I dont live below it),

You mean you make a lot of noise?

attracts muck

Nonsense. And it's jolly easy to clean.

and to cap it all, getting out of the bath to answer the
phone I went arse over tit and broke my ribs.

So you don't have
a) a cordless phone to take into the bathroom?
b) a bath mat?
c) the sense to stay upright?

Flooring from hell! But
its a real industry, is Carol Smillie to blame?

Who?

Mary

Mary Fisher

"mrcheerful ." wrote in message
.uk...

"kevin77" wrote in message
om...
I know, its trendy because of these TV programmes.
I rent a modern house and its full of it. But its cold as hell (bring
back carpets), no acoustic properties (glad I dont live below it),
attracts muck and to cap it all, getting out of the bath to answer the
phone I went arse over tit and broke my ribs. Flooring from hell! But
its a real industry, is Carol Smillie to blame?

I agree, all the cheapo laminate is foul,

I bow to your greater experience!

and when it has been down a while and shrunk and curled

You really aren't making sense.

it looks like old lino.

Actually real lino is extremely good floor covering on all counts.

Mary

Owain

kevin77 wrote:
I rent a modern house and its full of it. ...
getting out of the bath to answer the
phone I went arse over tit and broke my ribs.

"Have you had an accident that's not your fault ..."

In the meantime buy yourself some room-sized rugs and take them with you
when you move.

Owain

Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"kevin77" wrote in message
om...
Snip
attracts muck

More like "doesn't hide muck"

Easier to mop than vaccuum me thinks

Paul

Mary Fisher

"Paul ( Skiing8 )" wrote in message
"kevin77" wrote in message
om...
Snip
attracts muck

More like "doesn't hide muck"

Good one!

Easier to mop than vaccuum me thinks

I sweep. On the odd occasion it has unsweepable dirt - the sort which would
stick to carpets - I wipe it up. We did buy a mop for it but I can't be
bothered, I like an easy life!*

Mary
*aka I'm idle

Paul

David

And nobody mentions the asthma enhancing, sick building syndrome
formaldehyde resins used in the construction. I prefer rugs to carpets,
take them outside to air etc. but real wood boards please.

Mary Fisher

"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
And nobody mentions the asthma enhancing, sick building syndrome
formaldehyde resins used in the construction. I prefer rugs to carpets,
take them outside to air etc. but real wood boards please.

You do what you please in your own house, we have the freedom (at the
moment) to do the same. 'Real wood' has its price too ...

Mary

kevin77

"
We don't have a tv but we do have some laminate flooring. We don't consider
it trendy either.

Its on all the makeover programmes which trendy people like, look just click it together in half an hour - its like real wood, except it isnt like real wood. Goes with the Ikea furniture and white sofa though.

It's not (not that Hell is cold, reputedly), we have bare feet indoors.

You must have high central heating bills, carpet is a great insulator, and Id rather walk over a deep pile carpet than skate over the laminate rubbish.

With all the filth they store and living cretures they provide a cosy home
for ...
Tried pushing the vacuum lately? There arent any killers lurking under foot.

You mean you make a lot of noise?
Carpet is a great acoustic barrier

So you don't have

a) a cordless phone to take into the bathroom? No, too trendy.
b) a bath mat? Yes I do, but I slipped in the living room.
c) the sense to stay upright? The laminate flooring has a slidy plastic type surface - the rest is physics.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"kevin77" wrote in message
om...
"
We don't have a tv but we do have some laminate flooring. We don't
consider
it trendy either.

Its on all the makeover programmes which trendy people like, look just
click it together in half an hour - its like real wood, except it isnt
like real wood. Goes with the Ikea furniture and white sofa though.

Don't have those either :-)

It's not (not that Hell is cold, reputedly), we have bare feet indoors.

You must have high central heating bills,

Nope.

carpet is a great insulator,

Yes it is, but our floors are already insulated.

and Id rather walk over a deep pile carpet

Oh come on! That went out decades ago :-)

than skate over the laminate rubbish.

Ours can't be rubbish then because we don't skate.

With all the filth they store and living cretures they provide a cosy
home
for ...
Tried pushing the vacuum lately?

No need to with hard flooring. A sweep is much easier and doesn't use
electricity.

There arent any killers lurking under foot.

Well, you might be a physicist but you're certainly not a biologist if you
think there's nothing living in your carpet. Especially a shag pile.

You mean you make a lot of noise?
Carpet is a great acoustic barrier

Non sequitur.

So you don't have

a) a cordless phone to take into the bathroom? No, too trendy.

Don't be daft.

b) a bath mat? Yes I do, but I slipped in the living room.

er - you said you were in the bathroom ... "getting out of the bath to
answer the phone ... "

c) the sense to stay upright? The laminate flooring has a slidy plastic
type surface

Ours doesn't.

- the rest is physics.

Q.E.D.

Mary

Lee

Mary Fisher wrote:
"kevin77" wrote in message

Its on all the makeover programmes which trendy people like, look just
click it together in half an hour - its like real wood, except it isnt
like real wood. Goes with the Ikea furniture and white sofa though.

Don't have those either :-)

We do Ok the sofa is cream but it's close enough
We have Ikea furniture too, cheap enough to change when you get bored
with it or redecorate...
Though we both like the modern "uncluttered" look - Ikea stuff doesn't
really go well in a period Victorian setting

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Mary Fisher

"Lee" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"kevin77" wrote in message

Its on all the makeover programmes which trendy people like, look just
click it together in half an hour - its like real wood, except it isnt
like real wood. Goes with the Ikea furniture and white sofa though.

Don't have those either :-)

We do Ok the sofa is cream but it's close enough
We have Ikea furniture too, cheap enough to change when you get bored with
it or redecorate...

I think kevin77 was denigrating them ... I don't. We don't have them because
all our furniture has been given to us by various people. It's - er -
eclectic in styles :-)

But it does its job. Chairs keep our bums off the floor, tables the plates
.... what more can you ask? We don't sit around looking at it and haven't
time or inclination to bother about getting something else.

Though we both like the modern "uncluttered" look - Ikea stuff doesn't
really go well in a period Victorian setting

I'd love an uncluttered house. Trouble is, we're both untidy folk and
there's always so much going on here ...

Ah well, when we die it will be somebody else's problem :-)

Mary

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Lee

Mary Fisher wrote:

I think kevin77 was denigrating them ... I don't.

Ok

I'd love an uncluttered house. Trouble is, we're both untidy folk and
there's always so much going on here ...

Don't have much choice really, our place is too small for it to be much
else...

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Zikki Malambo

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message . net...

You do what you please in your own house, we have the freedom (at the
moment) to do the same. 'Real wood' has its price too ...

You're telling me!

£1700 for a medium sized sitting room and hall. Have decided we like
the old stained carpet after all!
doozer

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Lee" wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote:

"kevin77" wrote in message

Its on all the makeover programmes which trendy people like, look just
click it together in half an hour - its like real wood, except it isnt
like real wood. Goes with the Ikea furniture and white sofa though.

Don't have those either :-)

We do Ok the sofa is cream but it's close enough
We have Ikea furniture too, cheap enough to change when you get bored with
it or redecorate...

I think kevin77 was denigrating them ... I don't. We don't have them because
all our furniture has been given to us by various people. It's - er -
eclectic in styles :-)

Glad to know it's not only us that have furniture like that. I find that
we collect an unwanted piece of furniture each time we move into
somewhere new as well. Combine that with the fact that I like to think I
can make the stuff myself... well, no two pieces even nearly match :-)

But it does its job. Chairs keep our bums off the floor, tables the plates
... what more can you ask? We don't sit around looking at it and haven't
time or inclination to bother about getting something else.

Though we both like the modern "uncluttered" look - Ikea stuff doesn't
really go well in a period Victorian setting

I'd love an uncluttered house. Trouble is, we're both untidy folk and
there's always so much going on here ...

Ah well, when we die it will be somebody else's problem :-)

:-) exactly my philosophy. I'm hoping its a long way off yet though and
that maybe one day I will be able to achieve tidiness.

Mary

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Mary Fisher

"doozer" wrote in message

I think kevin77 was denigrating them ... I don't. We don't have them
because all our furniture has been given to us by various people. It's -
er - eclectic in styles :-)

Glad to know it's not only us that have furniture like that. I find that
we collect an unwanted piece of furniture each time we move into somewhere
new as well. Combine that with the fact that I like to think I can make
the stuff myself... well, no two pieces even nearly match :-)

That's the one. Then there's the situation of inheriting a real matching
pair of chairs. Spouse thinks they'd be nice restored to original condition,
as they were in his grandmother's time. So he restores one.

Still, when we have large faily meals everyone has his favourtie chair and
uses it, there's never any mistake.

Though we both like the modern "uncluttered" look - Ikea stuff doesn't
really go well in a period Victorian setting

I'd love an uncluttered house. Trouble is, we're both untidy folk and
there's always so much going on here ...

Ah well, when we die it will be somebody else's problem :-)

:-) exactly my philosophy. I'm hoping its a long way off yet though and
that maybe one day I will be able to achieve tidiness.

I've started. Today I threw away a Lidl receipt ...

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Zikki Malambo" wrote in message
om...
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

You do what you please in your own house, we have the freedom (at the
moment) to do the same. 'Real wood' has its price too ...

You're telling me!

£1700 for a medium sized sitting room and hall. Have decided we like
the old stained carpet after all!

er - what does the carpet rest on? It's surely not hovering in limbo?

Mary

In article , Mary
Fisher writes
I'd love an uncluttered house. Trouble is, we're both untidy folk and
there's always so much going on here ...

Ah well, when we die it will be somebody else's problem :-)

Mary

We have just had a new carpet fitted in the living room and rather than
move everything back in the way it was we have just moved back the
essentials and are going to see how we get on without all the clutter,
it feels a totally different room, one month on and still going strong
:-)
--
David

kevin77

Thats another great trendy idea,lets rip up all those nasty carpets,
they are too comfortable/warm/quiet and get back to those old draughty
floorboards with the wind whistling through,the timber is not by any
means joinery quality, it was never intended to be, but wait Carol
Smilie says we can hire a sander for a day and then varnish it. Sows
ear? Pay the £1700 and get a proper parquet floor.

£1700 for a medium sized sitting room and hall. Have decided we like
the old stained carpet after all!

er - what does the carpet rest on? It's surely not hovering in limbo?

Mary

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Gerry
wrote:

Anyone who gets out of a bath to answer a phone has got to question their
logic!

I question the logic of posting upside down and not trimming, but to answer
your other point, the phone only rings when you are in the bath.

** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **
** http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post **

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

it looks like old lino.

Actually real lino is extremely good floor covering on all counts.

Some friends (one an architect) have just gone for Marmoleum in their
kitchen and dining room. Quite splendid it looks and feels too.

Mary Fisher

wrote in message

I'd love an uncluttered house. Trouble is, we're both untidy folk and
there's always so much going on here ...

Ah well, when we die it will be somebody else's problem :-)

Mary

We have just had a new carpet fitted in the living room and rather than
move everything back in the way it was we have just moved back the
essentials and are going to see how we get on without all the clutter,
it feels a totally different room, one month on and still going strong
:-)

We did the same when we horrors sanded and varnished the dining room
floor. Threw out about 3,000 books (no, really), boxes of toys left over
from our children and kept for the grandchildren, all sorts of fabric and
yarns, machinery and goodness knows what else. It was a delight for well
over a month.

That was about five years ago.

The clutter is back, it's just different ... sigh

Mary

Mary Fisher

"kevin77" wrote in message
om...

Thats another great trendy idea,lets rip up all those nasty carpets,

They just need lifting you know, not ripping ... have you ever tried ripping
a carpet???

they are too comfortable/warm/quiet and get back to those old draughty
floorboards with the wind whistling through,

It might whistle through yours boards but it doesn't do ours :-) We have no
draughts. We don't stamp around. It's very warm - wood is a great insulator
you know ...

the timber is not by any
means joinery quality,

It IS joinery quality. Do you mean cabinet?

it was never intended to be,

It was intended to give a surface to walk on. That's what we do with our
floors ...

but wait Carol
Smilie

Who?

says we can hire a sander for a day and then varnish it.

I'm lost. Varnish a sander?

Sows
ear? Pay the £1700 and get a proper parquet floor.

Er - then lay a carpet over it to stop the draughts, noise and discomfort?
Parquet is wood ... I sense confusion in your arguments.

Mary

kevin77

They just need lifting you know, not ripping ... have you ever tried ripping
a carpet???

They have grippers you know.

It might whistle through yours boards but it doesn't do ours :-) We have no

draughts.

No, I didnt think you would have any draughts.

It IS joinery quality. Do you mean cabinet?

No, its not, look at the holes, shakes, knots. Its second grade stuff
to use for t & g floor boarding.

It was intended to give a surface to walk on. That's what we do with our
floors ...Make sure you take out the protruding nail heads when you walk about barefoot.

but wait Carol
Smilie

Who? You dont watch tele, your ideas are original right.

I'm lost. Varnish a sander? Of course!Thats hilarious.

Sows
ear? Pay the £1700 and get a proper parquet floor.

Parquet is wood ... I sense confusion in your arguments.

I mean a proper parquet floor laid over the boards, not the 'kits'in B
& Q .

Mary

Mary Fisher

"kevin77" wrote in message
m...

They just need lifting you know, not ripping ... have you ever tried
ripping
a carpet???

They have grippers you know.

Some do. The ones we tok up didn't. The fitted originals had rings fitted
held by nails at the edges of the room. Easily lifted. The others weren't
fitted.

It might whistle through yours boards but it doesn't do ours :-)

We have no draughts.

So why do you assume that others have?

It IS joinery quality. Do you mean cabinet?

No, its not, look at the holes, shakes, knots. Its second grade stuff
to use for t & g floor boarding.

I'm beginning to understand why you think the way you do. You certainly seem
to live in a substandard house ...

It was intended to give a surface to walk on. That's what we do with our
floors ...

Make sure you take out the protruding nail heads when you walk about
barefoot.

sigh They were punched down before sanding.

but wait Carol
Smilie

Who?

You dont watch tele, your ideas are original right.

We certainly think for ourselves and only take advice from those we respect.

I'm lost. Varnish a sander?

Of course!Thats hilarious.

Your words.

Sows
ear? Pay the £1700 and get a proper parquet floor.

Parquet is wood ... I sense confusion in your arguments.

I mean a proper parquet floor laid over the boards, not the 'kits'in B
& Q .

Again, I bow to your greater experience. I had no idea that there were kits
nor that such kits were in B&Q. You do lead an exciting life!

Mary

kevin77

The fitted originals had rings fitted
held by nails at the edges of the room. Easily lifted

No, thats called a groundsheet. You should have said that you lived in a tent!
Mary Fisher

"kevin77" wrote in message
om...
The fitted originals had rings fitted
held by nails at the edges of the room. Easily lifted

No, thats called a groundsheet. You should have said that you lived in a
tent!

You don't know much about tents either sigh

Over and out.