Epetruk

Default Radiator problem

Hi,

I'm not really a diy expert, so please forgive me for my lack of
understanding here.

I have a radiator in the bathroom that doesn't seem to be heating up. The
pipe that the hot water comes in through is certainly hot, but beyond the
valve that connects the pipe to the radiator, there is no warmth. (I think
it's called a lockshield valve - it looks like the valve in this picture

http://www.diydata.com/projects/cent...ncing/shut.jpg

I've tried turning the valve one way and then the other, but nothing seems
to make any difference. Can anyone help me identify the problem and how I
might fix it?

TIA,

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

Set Square

Epetruk wrote:

Hi,

I'm not really a diy expert, so please forgive me for my lack of
understanding here.

I have a radiator in the bathroom that doesn't seem to be heating up.
The pipe that the hot water comes in through is certainly hot, but
beyond the valve that connects the pipe to the radiator, there is no
warmth. (I think it's called a lockshield valve - it looks like the
valve in this picture

http://www.diydata.com/projects/cent...ncing/shut.jpg

I've tried turning the valve one way and then the other, but nothing
seems to make any difference. Can anyone help me identify the problem
and how I might fix it?

TIA,

What's at the other end of the radiator - is there a similar valve with a
knob/hand-wheel on? Is that fully open?

If the radiator isn't getting hot, there isn't any hot water flowing through
it. There can be a number of reasons for this. Here are a few things to
check out in the order listed:

* One or other valve closed. Make sure they are both turned fully
anti-clockwise when viewed from above.
* Radiator full of air. Open the bleed screw, and bleed it until water comes
out.
* Lack of water or pressure in the system. If a vented system, make sure
that there is some water in the small header (fill & expansion) tank and
that the ball valve hasn't stuck. If a sealed system, make sure that the
pressure is about 1 bar when the system is cold, and top it up using the
filling loop if necessary.
* Air lock in the flow or return pipe. Close the hand-wheel-operated valve
on all other radiators to force the full pump output through this individual
radiator (and then open the others again once you have got it going)

Come back if none of these fix it!
--
Cheers,
Set Square