The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Grunff" wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote:

You no doubt drive a car. It's not a steam engined thing which needs a
man with a flag walking in front of it ... but the modern i.c.e. couldn't
spring fully formed, like Venus from the foam ...

I do understand you viewpoint; I'm just not convinced that this is the
right way to achieve the end goal (lower CO2 emissions - I still reserve
judgment on whether this is necessary/desirable).

It's ONE way. I'm not claiming that there's a single solution to all energy
problems, perceived or otherwise.

Most people live in cities/suburbs. Cities need a lot of power.

Hmm. Need vs want ... Most, if not all of us (including me) use far more
than we need. We just want it. And we're spending our resources at the
expense of living creatures now and the future.

You need to use vast swathes of the countryside to generate this power
from sources like wind. I'm not sure a country like that would be a nice
place to live.

The city isn't a nice place to live for those who like clean air and see
huge waste of energy of all kinds.

As it happens I think that wind farms have an elegance of their own but
that's subjective. I also think that pylons which litter the country - all
over it, make the country not a nice place to live.

Actually there is some benefit to be had from undergrunding the lot and
going DC.

Now we have high power voltage conversion technology..
Mary

The Natural Philosopher

Owain wrote:

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote
[oil tanks]
| You can build follies round em too.

But if the folly has the purpose of concealing the oil tank, does it not
then cease to be a folly?

Interesting question....

| Best form of central heating is a lot of different ones.
| Ive got a gravity feed aga, and electric pumped boiler,
| two open fires and a wood stove.
| One way or another we keep from hypothermia.

Cats are a pretty useful back-up too.

And a large labrador. Got all of those too..
Owain

MM

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:54:21 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Deblis"
wrote:

No maintenance - its a seled unit with a 25-year life...

25 years doesn't sound very long for what must have been a huge outlay
- 50 metre long trenches! I bet it cost an arm and a leg to install.
Surely a few fireplaces would have been a bit cheaper. Wood, after
all, can be obtained from a sustainable supply.

MM
MM

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:29:21 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Get an "Oil Watchman" device that fits to the tank and sends a radio
signal to a plugin device inside that shows a number relating to the
oil level.

Ah, I was wondering whether such a device existed, me being a newbie
oil tank owner. At present I stand at the kitchen window with my
binoculars and can focus on the little green float in the sight tube
which I have also marked off, though in inches. I must say, I am
pleasantly surprised at how little the boiler consumes, but I'd still
far rather have gas and forget about both the tank and the necessity
to have to order refills, both pains in the veritable backside.

Oh, and with gas, if it's chilly, you can just switch the hob on in
the kitchen. Far better and quicker (and cheaper) heat boost than
those fan heaters.

Give me gas every time.

MM
Mary Fisher

wrote:

No maintenance - its a seled unit with a 25-year life...

25 years doesn't sound very long for what must have been a huge outlay
- 50 metre long trenches! I bet it cost an arm and a leg to install.
Surely a few fireplaces would have been a bit cheaper. Wood, after
all, can be obtained from a sustainable supply.

Depends where you are. Here all lumber would have to be brought in by road.
Wood miles aren't sustainable.

Mary

MM

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote
| Cats are a pretty useful back-up too.
| But you have to feed those too. Warm boots are the thing!

Cat fur's a nice warm lining ....

I skinned a hare recently, it's wonderful! I'm getting some more soon.
Meat's tasty too - you get a huge amount from one animal.

| Next weekend we'll be under canvas with others in tents also.
| They're all moaning about how cold it will be. I say that
| if they don't know how to keep warm in winter they shouldn't
| be doing it.

If they were doing it perhaps it would help keep them warm. Or would the
sleeping bag just get clammy?

Not if you have good quality duck or goose down one, the sweat doesn't
accumulate. We have goose down duvets in our tents and caravans.

Mary

Owain

Doctor Evil

"Mike Deblis" wrote in message

Yes. We opted for an Ice Energy ground
heat pump (www.iceenergy.co.uk) -
nothing visible, highly efficient (payback is
about 5 years in a well insulated hgouse),
government grant under the "blue skies" scheme
to offset some of the initial outlay, easy to
install, works day or night, summer/winter,
cloudy/clear and even (like today) when there
is a decent amount of snow on it.

Not only is it a "green" way of heating,

Heat pumps are NOT green. They use electricity that is about 30% efficient
from station to home.

No maintenance - its a seled unit with
a 25-year life... and although these
units are newish in the uK, they've been
installing 10s of 1000s of them in
Sweden (and elsewhere) for many many years.

They are horrendously expensive to install. The running cost is about the
same as a gas condensing boiler which is "very" cheap to buy in comparison.
They tend to work better on low temperature heating and in many cases cannot
produce hot enough water in winter for DHW. Working continuously they can
over-cool the ground around and have to be switched off to allow the ground
to recover.

A minor plus point is the no maintenance. Well not quite right as the
inhibitor in the loop needs periodic attention.

The do have their place, but only in remote areas. The sums have to be done
properly beforehand before going heat pump. Mabny people go for them
because it is a fad.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
tony sayer

Heat pumps are NOT green. They use electricity that is about 30% efficient
from station to home.

Yes but overall gain is better?...

[...]

Wouldn't it be better to take the latent heat from the outside air?,
which unlike the ground is easily "re-heated"?.....

--
Tony Sayer

Mary Fisher

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

heat pumps

... Mabny people go for them
because it is a fad.

How do you know that?

Mary

Doctor Evil

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

heat pumps

... Mabny people go for them
because it is a fad.

How do you know that?

Logic is against them. And I have met tow people who bought them because
they liked the technology.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Doctor Evil

"tony sayer" wrote in message
[...]

Many people go for them because it is a fad.

Wouldn't it be better to take the latent heat
from the outside air?, which unlike the ground
is easily "re-heated"?.....

Air to water heat pumps perform abysmally in winter and need assistance from
an immersion to get hot DHW. They are only good enough to run a "very" low
temp underfloor heating system (more extra expense again) . They are not
recommended for thermal stores.

What determines heat pumps is the COP (Coefficient Of Performance). An
electric immersion heater is COP 1, as it turns 100% of the energy used into
heat. A condensing boilers is about COP 0.85. Most heat pumps are about 3
to 4, so can just compete with a gas condensing boilers on running costs
(electricity is 4 times the cost of gas per kW). I believe some very
expensive heat pumps just on the market in the USA are now getting COP 7.
This may make them more attractive, especially air to water versions, as no
expensive trenches or vertical 60 foot holes to drill. But still the sums
have to be done, and the operation assessed properly. Will it deliver
enough heat in winter, etc?

At COP 7 a ground sourced heat pump may be well worth it. But I fear it will
extract heat from the ground faster than the ground can re-heat the
surrounding earth, so a very long and/or deep slinky will be required, which
is even more capital cost.

With all this capital outlay you may as well spend it on insulation and
air-tightness of the house, that keep steh hosue warm and cool, and not
worry ever again about machines.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Mary Fisher

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

heat pumps

... Mabny people go for them
because it is a fad.

How do you know that?

Logic is against them.

That doesn't mean that they go for them because it's a fad.

And I have met tow people who bought them because
they liked the technology.

Nor does that. But even if it did, two people don't add up to "many".

Mary

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Mary Fisher

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

heat pumps

... Mabny people go for them
because it is a fad.

How do you know that?

Logic is against them.

That doesn't mean that they go for them because it's a fad.

And I have met tow people who bought them because
they liked the technology.

Nor does that. But even if it did, two people don't add up to "many".

not many are sold.

You know so much ...

Doctor Evil

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

heat pumps

... Mabny people go for them
because it is a fad.

How do you know that?

Logic is against them.

That doesn't mean that they go for them because it's a fad.

And I have met tow people who bought them because
they liked the technology.

Nor does that. But even if it did, two people don't add up to "many".

not many are sold.

You know so much ...

yep. What do you know about this?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Doctor Evil wrote:
"Grunff" wrote in message
Chris wrote:

Judging from the article in New Scientist

Ah, that most respected of scientific journals...

a few weeks ago, the vast
majority of scientific opinion is that global warming is a fact

So far so good.

with the
main discussions on how soon and how bad it is going to get.

Well, and whether anything we've done over the past 200 years has

made
any difference whatesoever to the trend.

snip garbage. Global warming is real and a fact and man made

snip drivel

John

wrote:

Get an "Oil Watchman" device that fits to the tank and sends a radio
signal to a plugin device inside that shows a number relating to the
oil level.

Ah, I was wondering whether such a device existed, me being a newbie
oil tank owner. At present I stand at the kitchen window with my
binoculars and can focus on the little green float in the sight tube
which I have also marked off, though in inches. I must say, I am
pleasantly surprised at how little the boiler consumes, but I'd still
far rather have gas and forget about both the tank and the necessity
to have to order refills, both pains in the veritable backside.

You can place a regular top up order with most of the big oil companies
which avoids your need to keep an eye on your tank. This does of course
remove your potential savings by stopping you "ringing around" for your next
fill up price.

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:30:40 +0000 (UTC), John wrote:

You can place a regular top up order with most of the big oil
companies which avoids your need to keep an eye on your tank. This
does of course remove your potential savings by stopping you
"ringing around" for your next fill up price.

Also if you have an account with a decent supplier they'll call you
when they think you might be about to run out. Not quite as good as
monitoring the sight gauge though.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

:::Jerry::::

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

snip

You know so much ...

yep. What do you know about this?

Probably more than you did before your Googling....

Doctor Evil

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

snip

You know so much ...

yep. What do you know about this?

Probably more than you did before your Googling....

I love it. A typical loonie reaction. When I astound them they say I got it
from Google. Classic, truly classic.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

snip

You know so much ...

yep. What do you know about this?

Probably more than you did before your Googling....

I love it. A typical loonie reaction. When I astound them they say I got

it
from Google. Classic, truly classic.

Look you moron, there is a (later) thread that is asking "Should balancing
gate valves be on flow or return?" which you have not posted to, if you
really do know what you are talking about than you would have answered the
posters question, but you have not - and why not, because you are nothing
but a Googling moron who knows nothing more than how to play with yourself !

Pete C

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:28:07 GMT, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk"
wrote:

Doctor Evil wrote:

Heat pumps and underfloor heating have a very high capital cost. Best use
that money on insulation and air-tightness and have virtually no bills at
all. A cheap LPG condensing boiler is all you need for DHW and partial CH.
Cheap to install and very low bills and you don't use much.

I'm confused .... Where does the expired moisture (breating) and steam
from showers etc go in an airtight house?

Hi,

Ideally it escapes though the ceiling and walls of the building, which
is why cement render, foil backed plasterboard and vinyl wallpaper are
not always a good idea.

Heat recovery ventilators are a good way to allow ventilation without
losing too much heat.

In Japan there are oxygen enriching air conditioners available, that
create oxygen enriched air from outdoors and use it to maintain
optimal indoor oxygen levels:

http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/en030116-4/en030116-4.html

cheers,
Pete.
Doctor Evil

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

snip

You know so much ...

yep. What do you know about this?

Probably more than you did before your Googling....

I love it. A typical loonie reaction. When I
astound them they say I got it from Google.
Classic, truly classic.

Look you moron,

More classic reactions.

snip offensive drivel

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
:::Jerry::::

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

snip

Look you moron,

More classic reactions.

snip offensive drivel

Only offensive to you, but it's the truth about you to everyone else !

Just seen yet another thread that your expertise has passed by, namely "
Draining CH and hot water?". If you are the highly skilled plumber / heating
engineer and not just the Googling boy of self abuse you would have posted
to that group also....

Does your mummy know you're skipping 'sckool' again ?...

Mary Fisher

"Pete C" wrote in message

I'm confused .... Where does the expired moisture (breating) and steam
from showers etc go in an airtight house?

In Japan there are oxygen enriching air conditioners available, that
create oxygen enriched air from outdoors and use it to maintain
optimal indoor oxygen levels:

Increasing oxygen doesn't get rid of steam ...

Mary

Nick Finnigan wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:22:10 -0000, J Ashton wrote:

I am tempted though by the 'green' electricity you can get, I

like
the thought of being able to be at least a bit environmentally
friendly.

"Green" stuff costs more than "normal"...

'Juice' costs the same as 'normal' npower electricity,

That's because NPower are required by law to buy a certain percentage
of their electricity from non-carbon sources. They then sell that
electricity to Juice customers (like me) who get a nice warm fuzzy
feeling - but haven't actually contributed to saving the planet :-(
(Well, we do a bit. Juice promise to put so much per kWh into a fund
for developing green energy).

I found this out when I was reviewing our electricity, and check out
the Friends of the Earth website. The conclusion seems to be that
there aren't any reliably green electricity suppliers.

Doctor Evil

wrote:

Doctor Evil wrote:

Heat pumps and underfloor heating have a very high capital cost. Best

use
that money on insulation and air-tightness and have virtually no bills

at
all. A cheap LPG condensing boiler is all you need for DHW and partial

CH.
Cheap to install and very low bills and you don't use much.

I'm confused .... Where does the expired moisture (breating) and steam
from showers etc go in an airtight house?

Hi,

Ideally it escapes though the ceiling and walls of the building, which
is why cement render, foil backed plasterboard and vinyl wallpaper are
not always a good idea.

They are a good idea if you ventilate right. The problem is that most don't
understand why a building needs to breath to protect its fabric; to take way
excess moisture (water vapour). Th other aspects of changing air is for
people to breath and take away foul smells.

Heat recovery ventilators are a
good way to allow ventilation without
losing too much heat.

Only if the house is pretty air-tight. If it is not air-tight then you are
ventilating twice and drawing out heat which you have paid for through your
bills.

In Japan there are oxygen enriching air conditioners available, that
create oxygen enriched air from outdoors and use it to maintain
optimal indoor oxygen levels:

http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/off...116-4/en030116
-4.html

Or more to counter the high pollution levels.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message

I'm confused .... Where does the expired moisture (breating) and steam

from showers etc go in an airtight house?

In Japan there are oxygen enriching air conditioners available, that
create oxygen enriched air from outdoors and use it to maintain
optimal indoor oxygen levels:

Increasing oxygen doesn't get rid of steam ...

Mary

The appropiate technique is to have your hot sweaty air exhaust via a
heat exchanger, so it heats incoming cold air on the way in
Pete C

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:45:29 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message

I'm confused .... Where does the expired moisture (breating) and steam
from showers etc go in an airtight house?

In Japan there are oxygen enriching air conditioners available, that
create oxygen enriched air from outdoors and use it to maintain
optimal indoor oxygen levels:

Increasing oxygen doesn't get rid of steam ...

Hi,

A lot of the high end ones can do dehumidification as well.

cheers,
Pete.
Mary Fisher

wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message

I'm confused .... Where does the expired moisture (breating) and steam
from showers etc go in an airtight house?

In Japan there are oxygen enriching air conditioners available, that
create oxygen enriched air from outdoors and use it to maintain
optimal indoor oxygen levels:

Increasing oxygen doesn't get rid of steam ...

Hi,

A lot of the high end ones can do dehumidification as well.

That's not what was said.

Mark

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:40:15 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I don't know but everything has to start somewhere. For instance, I'm
looking into
www.windsave.com
We have to put our money where our mouth is.

How much are these?

Mark