RJ

Default Pressurised Heating - using rust inhibitor

I have a pressurised (and sealed) central heating system.

I need to remove a radiator upstairs, and this will require draining
the entire system upstairs. (Drain valve above boilder in kitchen
will be used)

However, when the job is finished I do not really want to use just
mains water to top it up as surely this will rust the system? So I
guess I need to introduce some rust-inhibitor to the system.

I have no manual (or skills/knowledge) - so was wondering:-

- What product to use
- how much to use
- How to introduce it!

I had a new tank installed by a *cough* professional last year who did
the similar drain, but didn't introduce anything (so down 50% on
anything that was there anyway).

House is typical new small 3-bed semi

Many thanks indeed!
Lobster

RJ wrote:

However, when the job is finished I do not really want to use just
mains water to top it up as surely this will rust the system? So I
guess I need to introduce some rust-inhibitor to the system.

Yes

I have no manual (or skills/knowledge) - so was wondering:-

- What product to use

Something like Fernox

- how much to use

See instructions on container - doesn't matter if you put a bit too much
in, that's far better than not enough

- How to introduce it!

Slightly more awkward on a sealed system like yours (on an unsealed
system you just pour it into the header tank. For a sealed system you
can buy expensive concentrated inhibitor stuff in a syringe designed to
be squirted into a radiator; however, as you have a radiator off there's
no need for that... just buy the conventional stuff, and using a funnel,
pour it down the now-exposed radiator tail.

David
Cuprager

snippings
- How to introduce it!

I introduced mine into my sealed system by pouring it into the top of my
newly fitted towel rad. This was dead easy and involved no mess at all.
If you dont have a towel rad... fit one they are great )
Ed Sirett

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 01:10:44 -0800, RJ wrote:

I have a pressurised (and sealed) central heating system.

I need to remove a radiator upstairs, and this will require draining
the entire system upstairs. (Drain valve above boilder in kitchen
will be used)

However, when the job is finished I do not really want to use just
mains water to top it up as surely this will rust the system? So I
guess I need to introduce some rust-inhibitor to the system.

I have no manual (or skills/knowledge) - so was wondering:-

- What product to use
- how much to use
- How to introduce it!

I had a new tank installed by a *cough* professional last year who did
the similar drain, but didn't introduce anything (so down 50% on
anything that was there anyway).

House is typical new small 3-bed semi

Many thanks indeed!

See FAQ below.
Inhibitor is not costly relative to other CH bits.
You ought to be able to get away with a depressuring, and drain just the
one radiator, the dilution of the inhibitor would then be fairly small.