Richard

Default Boiler keeps going out

Hi all,

Glowworm Hideaway FF boiler; over the last few days (I know, I know) it
keeps losing the main jets, leaving only the pilot light on. On
restarting it manually, it comes on just fine every time. It stays on
for as long as 48 hours or as little as 12 hours.

Pipes aren't frozen, water pressure seems OK, gas pressure seems OK (but
haven't tested either numerically). Boiler is located in a cellar,
which has a radiator, and also a frost thermostat.

I'm likely going to call a boiler man anyway since I'm not confident
enough to pull it apart myself, but I'd appreciate any pointers as to
what it might be in advance.

Thanks in advance,
Richard.
[news]

Richard wrote:
Hi all,

Glowworm Hideaway FF boiler; over the last few days (I know, I know) it
keeps losing the main jets, leaving only the pilot light on. On
restarting it manually, it comes on just fine every time. It stays on
for as long as 48 hours or as little as 12 hours.

Pipes aren't frozen, water pressure seems OK, gas pressure seems OK (but
haven't tested either numerically). Boiler is located in a cellar,
which has a radiator, and also a frost thermostat.

I'm likely going to call a boiler man anyway since I'm not confident
enough to pull it apart myself, but I'd appreciate any pointers as to
what it might be in advance.

gas valve inlet solenoid sticking closed would be my guess.

RT

Richard

[news] wrote:
Richard wrote:

Hi all,

Glowworm Hideaway FF boiler; over the last few days (I know, I know) it
keeps losing the main jets, leaving only the pilot light on. On
restarting it manually, it comes on just fine every time. It stays on
for as long as 48 hours or as little as 12 hours.

Pipes aren't frozen, water pressure seems OK, gas pressure seems OK (but
haven't tested either numerically). Boiler is located in a cellar,
which has a radiator, and also a frost thermostat.

I'm likely going to call a boiler man anyway since I'm not confident
enough to pull it apart myself, but I'd appreciate any pointers as to
what it might be in advance.

gas valve inlet solenoid sticking closed would be my guess.

Sorry to be dim, but if it's sticking closed, why does it open with a
restart?

R.
[news]

Richard wrote:
[news] wrote:
Richard wrote:

Hi all,

Glowworm Hideaway FF boiler; over the last few days (I know, I know) it
keeps losing the main jets, leaving only the pilot light on. On
restarting it manually, it comes on just fine every time. It stays on
for as long as 48 hours or as little as 12 hours.

Pipes aren't frozen, water pressure seems OK, gas pressure seems OK (but
haven't tested either numerically). Boiler is located in a cellar,
which has a radiator, and also a frost thermostat.

I'm likely going to call a boiler man anyway since I'm not confident
enough to pull it apart myself, but I'd appreciate any pointers as to
what it might be in advance.

gas valve inlet solenoid sticking closed would be my guess.

Sorry to be dim, but if it's sticking closed, why does it open with a
restart?

R.

dunno, mine did. then it started opening with an almighty crack which
could be heard throughout the house. it failed about 2 weeks later.

I'm not a real gas service engineer (brother in law is) twas just a guess :-)

RT

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [news]
Richard wrote:
[news] wrote:
Richard wrote:

[...]

The supplier puts something in the gas to seal leaks in their pipework. Sometimes this gets into the diaphragm of your gas valve and sticks it shut. Manufacturers don't like us stripping gas valves apart and cleaning them, but sometimes it works. Mostly it means a new gas valve.

Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Boiler TP valve problems? Linc Vannah Home Repair 9 May 8th 04 02:20 AM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 08:29 PM