Ann

Default What is it?

We have recently moved house. Our new house has an Albion Mercury
Unvented Hot Water Storage Cylinder with two immersion heaters. Below
one of the immersion heaters, on the side of the cylinder, is a box
which has a dial (range 25 C to 95 C) and a little red button. Can
anyone tell me what this box does.

The reason I need to know is because it seems to be overriding my
boiler timer. Neither Immersion Heaters are switched on. I heat the
water using the boiler on a timer. However, twice recently, I have
heard the boiler coming on when it is not supposed to be on. There is
also a noise of water running to/from the cylinder. If I turn down the
dial on this unknown box (presumably reducing the temperature) then
the running water sound stops and the boiler switches off.

Can anyone tell me what might be happening? (I can send a photo of
the box if that helps)

Ann wrote:

We have recently moved house. Our new house has an Albion Mercury
Unvented Hot Water Storage Cylinder with two immersion heaters.

Below
one of the immersion heaters, on the side of the cylinder, is a box
which has a dial (range 25 C to 95 C) and a little red button. Can
anyone tell me what this box does.

thermostat for the hot water temp. (I dont think that would be the room
temp )

The reason I need to know is because it seems to be overriding my
boiler timer. Neither Immersion Heaters are switched on. I heat the
water using the boiler on a timer. However, twice recently, I have
heard the boiler coming on when it is not supposed to be on. There is
also a noise of water running to/from the cylinder. If I turn down

the
dial on this unknown box (presumably reducing the temperature) then
the running water sound stops and the boiler switches off.

Can anyone tell me what might be happening? (I can send a photo of
the box if that helps)

When you turn the stat down it decides its as hot as wanted, so stops
the boiler heating and pumping in the heated water.

Your timer is evidently not controlling the HW after all.

NT

Christian McArdle

Can anyone tell me what might be happening? (I can send a photo of
the box if that helps)

The timer is probably wired up only to control the heating. Are you sure it
is a programmer, rather than a room thermostat? Does it have a "Hot Water"
channel?

Christian.

Ann

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message . net...
Can anyone tell me what might be happening? (I can send a photo of
the box if that helps)

The timer is probably wired up only to control the heating. Are you sure it
is a programmer, rather than a room thermostat? Does it have a "Hot Water"
channel?

Christian.

The timer has two "sections" - heating and hot water - I know the
timer works OK for the hot water, because if the timer is not set,
then the water does not heat up!!

Ann wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote in

message . net...
Can anyone tell me what might be happening? (I can send a photo

of
the box if that helps)

The timer is probably wired up only to control the heating. Are you

sure it
is a programmer, rather than a room thermostat? Does it have a "Hot

Water"
channel?

Christian.

The timer has two "sections" - heating and hot water - I know the
timer works OK for the hot water, because if the timer is not set,
then the water does not heat up!!

If the water is heated when the timer is meant to keep it off, I think
we can conlcude it doesnmt work ok. Giving hot water doesnt necessarily
all working correctly.

Its hard to get into this further with so little info though.

NT