SteveM

Default DIY Sofa

Hi all,

I'm a DIY newbie in need of some help.

I want to build a custom sofa in living room - I've got about 8-9 foot
of wall, a corner, then a bay window, another corner, and then about
2-3 ft before coming to the chimney. I would like to make a sofa that
follows the contours of the wall unbroken round this run.

My plan was to build a number of boxes (along the lines of those
slatted linen boxes that you can get in IKEA) attach them to each
other and throw cushions over the top, using the wall as a back for
the sofa. I could then hinge the front of these boxes, or create
drawers for them, so that we'd gain a load of storage space aswell.

Can anyone suggest any reasons why this wouldn't work, or a better way
of doing this? What wood should I use to do it, and how can I be sure
to build it strong enough to take a persons weight?

Any ideas/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve
Michael Mcneil

"SteveM" wrote in message
om

I want to build a custom sofa in living room - I've got about 8-9 foot
of wall, a corner, then a bay window, another corner, and then about
2-3 ft before coming to the chimney. I would like to make a sofa that
follows the contours of the wall unbroken round this run.

My plan was to build a number of boxes (along the lines of those
slatted linen boxes that you can get in IKEA) attach them to each
other and throw cushions over the top, using the wall as a back for
the sofa. I could then hinge the front of these boxes, or create
drawers for them, so that we'd gain a load of storage space aswell.

If you use the wall as a back you will notice a build up of grime on the
wall.

The angle of the seat to the wall wants to be something like 4 to 6
inches in a couple of feet of back height. Have a look at (if you have
any) comfortable local park benches.

The seat height wants to be about 17 inches from the floor.

Make a loose fitting slatted framework as a mock up trial piece and
adjust its position until you get it right. Then all you need is to make
a series of boxes to suit your desires. Upholsering is as simple or as
elabourate as you want it to be.

Being something of a skip-haunter, I'd be inclined to try and find a
load of similar model front car seats at a scrap-yard and set them on
drawer units or on hinges on boxes.

BigWallop

"SteveM" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I hope you're good at sewing, because the framework of furniture is very simple,
but the coverings are a real pain in proverbial if you can't use a sewing
machine properly.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

adder

"BigWallop" wrote in message ...

I hope you're good at sewing, because the framework of furniture is very simple,
but the coverings are a real pain in proverbial if you can't use a sewing
machine properly.

Don't you just need some foam & a staple gun?!
Ian Stirling

adder wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote in message ...

I hope you're good at sewing, because the framework of furniture is very simple,
but the coverings are a real pain in proverbial if you can't use a sewing
machine properly.

Don't you just need some foam & a staple gun?!

Couldn't you just use 8 combies stacked together?

N. Thornton

(SteveM) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Had a DIY type sofa, once, very comfortable. Lasted faultlessly,
unlike most sofas, but of course had none of the pretentions that
modern sofas usually have.

Both seat and back need to be tilted for comfort. So using the wall
for a back is a real no-no. A simple wooden frame with slats is all
thats needed. If moneys problematic, chipboard would do for the seat
bases if it wont be seen. Dont use melamine chip though

For fabric covering it, theres no need. Wood looks good, as long as
you dont stain it, and especially dont use that dreadful coloured
varnish. Wood floor varnish should wear well.

Simple garden furniture type full long rectangular cushions provide
comfortable squish and softness, but finding some that look decent is
another matter. You'll inevitably need to make covers for the
squishies. Sheet foam works nicely, but is pricey. If you use that, do
get the 2 layer stuff, firm foam with a soft top layer bonded on.

The wood: I found 4" x 3/4" works ok for the sit on slats but is not
100% abuse proof. 1" would be best I think. Keeping gaps small helps
for best comfort.

The frame: 2x2, 2x3, or 1.5x2.5 CLS. The CLS comes with ready rounded
edges which saves work if you have no plane. For the others I'd plane
1-2mm off each corner, at 45 degrees. Simple and looks quite good.

If OTOH you want something fancier, you could go to plywood and use a
scrollsaw to cut out all the shapes your heart desires. Tidy up the
edges with a drum sander and you have a typical 1930s type of
furniture construction.

Or if you want cheapass, box shapes can be made from chip.

BTW the simplest form of storage is just a drop curtain on the front:
just lift it for access. Liftoff or hinged front panels are better
though, but can be added later if desired.

Regards, NT