SteveM

Default DIY Sofa

Hi all,

I'm a DIY newbie in need of some help.

I want to build a custom sofa in living room - I've got about 8-9 foot
of wall, a corner, then a bay window, another corner, and then about
2-3 ft before coming to the chimney. I would like to make a sofa that
follows the contours of the wall unbroken round this run.

My plan was to build a number of boxes (along the lines of those
slatted linen boxes that you can get in IKEA) attach them to each
other and throw cushions over the top, using the wall as a back for
the sofa. I could then hinge the front of these boxes, or create
drawers for them, so that we'd gain a load of storage space aswell.

Can anyone suggest any reasons why this wouldn't work, or a better way
of doing this? What wood should I use to do it, and how can I be sure
to build it strong enough to take a persons weight?

Any ideas/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve