TheScullster

Default Slightly OT - Sky Card

The DIY connection is that I recently aquired a Sky dish and digibox from an
emigrating (or more accurately repatriating) French family.
This I have fitted/setup with help from this group.

My question:

I am obviously now a Sky user, who is unknown to Sky!
I understand that after a certain period, the viewing capability of the
current card will elapse (or be curtailed by Sky).
The previous owner had been a subscriber but cancelled the paid subscription
prior to leaving.

Does anyone know how long these cards will function after cancellation of
subscription service?
Can I get a perpetual viewing card from Sky, even though they don't "know"
me?
Is there a less "official" work around to maintain service?

TIA

Phil

Christian McArdle

Can I get a perpetual viewing card from Sky, even though they don't "know"
me?
Is there a less "official" work around to maintain service?

Yes, either get a Sky subscription, or get a Freesat card.

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/

They are available without the box, although you have to search the site.
They cost 20 quid. They should last at least 3 years (if they last less time
than this and freesat is still available, they promise a free replacement).

Christian.

Lurch

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:17:19 -0000, "TheScullster"
phil-at-dropthespam.com strung together this:

This any good to you? http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/
--

SJW
Broadback

TheScullster wrote:

The DIY connection is that I recently aquired a Sky dish and digibox from an
emigrating (or more accurately repatriating) French family.
This I have fitted/setup with help from this group.

My question:

I am obviously now a Sky user, who is unknown to Sky!
I understand that after a certain period, the viewing capability of the
current card will elapse (or be curtailed by Sky).
The previous owner had been a subscriber but cancelled the paid subscription
prior to leaving.

Does anyone know how long these cards will function after cancellation of
subscription service?
Can I get a perpetual viewing card from Sky, even though they don't "know"
me?
Is there a less "official" work around to maintain service?

If you wish to watch Sky programs then you will have to pay as soon as
the subscription runs out, whenever that may be. However if you only
wish to watch the "Free to View" ones then I suspect you will need to
wrangle a card. Many people did this by subscribing to a pornographic
site, getting a card then never buying any pornographic films.

Old Bill

Broadback wrote:
TheScullster wrote:

[...]

As strange as this may sound, it is true. I got 2 of these a year ago.
One was £5 and the other ~£9. Cheaper that the Freestat one.

However, if the ex-subscription card is dark blue, then it is a current
series card. It should decode FTV channels for 2-3 more years until/if
Sky change the encryption scheme.

Reckless

"Old Bill" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
TheScullster wrote:

[...]

I think the current series of cards only officially last until Jan 2006.
After this time I beleive Sky can (and probably will) change the cards once
more.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , TheScullster
URL:mailto[email protected]. wrote:

I understand that after a certain period, the viewing capability of the
current card will elapse (or be curtailed by Sky).

Only the subscription services will be unavailable. The card will revert to
a "Freesat" card automatically. You need to do nothing if that's all you
want to watch.