Roger

Default Raised Patio

Hi All
I want to raise our patio so it reaches up to the patio doors we had fitted.
We don't want to use decking.

As far as I can work it out, I'll build a retaining wall around the intended
patio area, fill it with rubble and crushed hardcore then lay slabs on top.

It will need to be four or five feet high.

Can anyone recommend the depth of foundations, thickness of the wall (dense
blocks) etc and can I use any of the soil removed for the foundations to
fill inside the raised walls.

Do I need to talk to Building Control or Planning.

Thanks
Roger

Set Square

Roger wrote:

Hi All
I want to raise our patio so it reaches up to the patio doors we had
fitted.

It will need to be four or five feet high.

It would be cheaper just to issue everyone with parachutes! g
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Ian Stirling

Roger wrote:
Hi All
I want to raise our patio so it reaches up to the patio doors we had fitted.
We don't want to use decking.

As far as I can work it out, I'll build a retaining wall around the intended
patio area, fill it with rubble and crushed hardcore then lay slabs on top.

It will need to be four or five feet high.

Decking?
You could even have a storage area under it.
Toby

Ian Stirling wrote:
Roger wrote:
Hi All
I want to raise our patio so it reaches up to the patio doors we had
fitted. We don't want to use decking.

As far as I can work it out, I'll build a retaining wall around the
intended patio area, fill it with rubble and crushed hardcore then
lay slabs on top.

It will need to be four or five feet high.

Decking?
You could even have a storage area under it.

Hmm it would need a lot of infill, so merging the above ideas, how about
building the wall as normal but top it with a beam and block floor finished
with flags. Retains storage underneath, and does not compromise the existing
DPC on the house wall.

--
Toby.

Ian Stirling

Toby wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Roger wrote:
Hi All
I want to raise our patio so it reaches up to the patio doors we had
fitted. We don't want to use decking.

As far as I can work it out, I'll build a retaining wall around the
intended patio area, fill it with rubble and crushed hardcore then
lay slabs on top.

It will need to be four or five feet high.

Decking?
You could even have a storage area under it.

Hmm it would need a lot of infill, so merging the above ideas, how about
building the wall as normal but top it with a beam and block floor finished
with flags. Retains storage underneath, and does not compromise the existing
DPC on the house wall.

Then again, there is always the other way.
Dig under the foundations shoring as you go, and support the foundations on
steel girders of adequate section.
Now, simply remove earth underneath, and lower house 4-5 feet.
You won't even have to relay the patio.

Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling wrote:
Roger wrote:
Hi All
I want to raise our patio so it reaches up to the patio doors we had fitted.
We don't want to use decking.

As far as I can work it out, I'll build a retaining wall around the intended
patio area, fill it with rubble and crushed hardcore then lay slabs on top.

It will need to be four or five feet high.

Decking?

Somehow I completely missed the "We don't want to use decking" bit
of that post.
Oh well.
You can of course put slabs on top of decking.

Terry

"Roger" wrote in message
Hi All
I want to raise our patio so it reaches up to the patio doors we had

fitted.
We don't want to use decking.

As far as I can work it out, I'll build a retaining wall around the

intended
patio area, fill it with rubble and crushed hardcore then lay slabs on

top.

It will need to be four or five feet high.

Can anyone recommend the depth of foundations, thickness of the wall

(dense
blocks) etc and can I use any of the soil removed for the foundations to
fill inside the raised walls.

Do I need to talk to Building Control or Planning.

Thanks
Roger

Roger:
Wow! If patio is 10 by 10 feet, say, that's around 500 cubic feet of soil,
fill, rubble, what have you. Not only a lot of work (Hire machinery? Access
to that area for a dump lorry etc?) And will require proper compacting to
avoid settling. Handling slabs five feet above ground! And unless the ground
slopes usefully a massiive 'pile of dirt' which can asorb water right
alongside the house structure? Make sure it is drained in same way that
embankments are?
Personally I'd not tackle it that way but you know the property.
Terry.
PS. If not machinery accessible; wheeling barrow loads up an incline! Whew!
Even 'building' an inclined ramp 'up' five feet is quite a job (and space)?
Or 1000 to 2000 one half to one quarter cubic foot bucket loads of 'fill'
lifted five feet and dumped (by two people?). But can be done as a fitness
project!

Pete C

Hi,

Might be possible with RSJs, in any case finding a structural engineer
who is experienced in this. and paying for an hour of their time would
be well worth it.

cheers,
Pete.