Ian Stirling

Default Raised Patio

Toby wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Roger wrote:
Hi All
I want to raise our patio so it reaches up to the patio doors we had
fitted. We don't want to use decking.

As far as I can work it out, I'll build a retaining wall around the
intended patio area, fill it with rubble and crushed hardcore then
lay slabs on top.

It will need to be four or five feet high.

Decking?
You could even have a storage area under it.

Hmm it would need a lot of infill, so merging the above ideas, how about
building the wall as normal but top it with a beam and block floor finished
with flags. Retains storage underneath, and does not compromise the existing
DPC on the house wall.

Then again, there is always the other way.
Dig under the foundations shoring as you go, and support the foundations on
steel girders of adequate section.
Now, simply remove earth underneath, and lower house 4-5 feet.
You won't even have to relay the patio.