r.p.mcmurphy

Default DIY camera-on-a-stick

tool catalogues sell a camera on a stick for poking into places the sun
don't shine (like box sections on cars to check for rust etc...well at least
that's what I'll be using it for...honest!) i was thinking about using a
b&w security camera and a small bulb taped to a bendy piece of metal rod.
anyone got any better ideas?

Steve

Ian Stirling

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
tool catalogues sell a camera on a stick for poking into places the sun
don't shine (like box sections on cars to check for rust etc...well at least
that's what I'll be using it for...honest!) i was thinking about using a
b&w security camera and a small bulb taped to a bendy piece of metal rod.
anyone got any better ideas?

Webcam on a stick( + bulb) can be cheaper.
Usefull performance from only about 8 quid.
Really tiny webcams can be gotten.
logized

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
tool catalogues sell a camera on a stick for poking into places the sun
don't shine (like box sections on cars to check for rust etc...well at
least that's what I'll be using it for...honest!) i was thinking about
using a b&w security camera and a small bulb taped to a bendy piece of
metal rod. anyone got any better ideas?

Steve

I once tried this idea using a very cheap, small security camera. It needed
no extra light because it came with infra-red LEDs fitted for night use.
The main problem was that it was out of focus for very close objects (less
than a foot away) which makes it unsuitable for your intended use.
It may work with one of those "pinhole" type cameras that don't have a
lens - but I have never tried it.

Dave

Mike Harrison

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:39:54 +0000 (UTC), "logized" wrote:

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
tool catalogues sell a camera on a stick for poking into places the sun
don't shine (like box sections on cars to check for rust etc...well at
least that's what I'll be using it for...honest!) i was thinking about
using a b&w security camera and a small bulb taped to a bendy piece of
metal rod. anyone got any better ideas?

Steve

I once tried this idea using a very cheap, small security camera. It needed
no extra light because it came with infra-red LEDs fitted for night use.
The main problem was that it was out of focus for very close objects (less
than a foot away) which makes it unsuitable for your intended use.
It may work with one of those "pinhole" type cameras that don't have a
lens - but I have never tried it.

Most cheap cams I've seen have lenses that can be adjusted, although some are glued after factory
adjustment

Vortex

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
tool catalogues sell a camera on a stick for poking into places the sun
don't shine (like box sections on cars to check for rust etc...well at
least that's what I'll be using it for...honest!) i was thinking about
using a b&w security camera and a small bulb taped to a bendy piece of
metal rod. anyone got any better ideas?

Steve

I visited Japan about 9 months ago.

On anAll Nippon Airways (ANA) internal flight the in flight magazine has the
most amazing gadgets.

One of these was an endosscope for inspecting your own ears.

About 40cm long it had a viewing eyepiece, a "coherent fibre" bundle going
to a lens *with illumination*, and a little hooky thing for removing ear
wax.

Fantastic gadget, but unfortunately I was not there long enough to get
delivery (Japanese address only).

Since that day my life has been incomplete.

raden

In message ,
r.p.mcmurphy writes
tool catalogues sell a camera on a stick for poking into places the sun
don't shine (like box sections on cars to check for rust etc...well at least
that's what I'll be using it for...honest!) i was thinking about using a
b&w security camera and a small bulb taped to a bendy piece of metal rod.
anyone got any better ideas?

I made my own when I had a wasps nest in a roof void

£30 for the camera, a car bulb and a piece of aluminium

--
geoff
jacob

raden wrote in message ...
In message ,
r.p.mcmurphy writes
tool catalogues sell a camera on a stick for poking into places the sun
don't shine (like box sections on cars to check for rust etc...well at least
that's what I'll be using it for...honest!) i was thinking about using a
b&w security camera and a small bulb taped to a bendy piece of metal rod.
anyone got any better ideas?

I made my own when I had a wasps nest in a roof void

£30 for the camera, a car bulb and a piece of aluminium

When I was an architectural student we used an endoscope to view
models i.e. getting an eye level view of a model town street, or room
interior through hole in model roof. It also could be attached to a
SLR camera I seem to recall. Basically a pencil sized periscope with
only one prism, and an eye-piece or camera lens attachment at the
other end.
I want one too if anyone tracks one down. I want to see behind my stud
wall linings for progress of dry rot, damp etc.

cheers

Jacob
Ian Stirling

jacob wrote:
raden wrote in message ...
In message ,
r.p.mcmurphy writes
[...]

http://www.ebuyer.com/

Many USB webcams that will go through 25mm holes.
Not marketed as endoscopes of course.