Robin Lawrie

Default Laminte Upstand

Hi all,

I fitted a laminate worktop upstand that I had bought from B&Q with No More
Nails but it has now come away from the wall at one corner and is actually
starting to bend away from the wall at that corner....

The corner is where the sink is so I'm having trouble gluing it again
because I can't put any weights against the upstand to hold it in place
because the worktop area is too small to support the weights without them
falling into the sink (I hope you can pciture this?!)

Is there an instant adhesive that would do the trick for me or am I better
of drilling through the upstand at this corner and screwing it to the wall?
Are there any other suggestions? I was thinking about using Gripfill contact
adhesive.....would that be any good?

Many thanks,

Robin.

Lobster

Robin Lawrie wrote:

I fitted a laminate worktop upstand that I had bought from B&Q with No More
Nails but it has now come away from the wall at one corner and is actually
starting to bend away from the wall at that corner....

The corner is where the sink is so I'm having trouble gluing it again
because I can't put any weights against the upstand to hold it in place
because the worktop area is too small to support the weights without them
falling into the sink (I hope you can pciture this?!)

You need to hold it place somehow whie the stuff has a chance to cure;
before you start drilling holes in the upstand I should ensure you've
given the glue a proper chance to do its job.

If you can't put weights against it, can't you use a wedge arrangement
of some sort - difficult to be more precise without seeing your setup -
but basically find another vertical surface in the kitchen which you put
a rod or length of timber against, and jam the other end against the bit
being glued? Eg, could even be an 8-foot pole jammed against somewhere
the other side of the room overnight if need be?

David
Robin Lawrie

I tried some quick drying super glue yesterday(!) and so far it seems to
have done the trick.......

If it doesn't hold, I willtry gripfill or no more nails and try to wedge it
using a long length of wood against the other side of the kitchen.....

Last resort, I will screw it!!

Thanks again for the advice,

Robin.