Graeme

Default Bath-to-tile sealing strips

Evenin' All

I've just bought a couple of these SEALASTRIP uPVC things from Homelux. To
be honest I can't see how they will work to my satisfaction (I am very
demanding). The strip comprises a vertical part that is fixed to the tile
surface using a couple of lines of black gooey stuff. The bottom part of the
strip rests on the bath edge. I can see that both of these contact points
will be watertight, but due to the profile of the strip, it would appear
that some water will be retained in a channel created where the vertical bit
meets the arched bit. The profile is more of an 'h' shape than an 'L' shape.
Has anybody here used these? Did you also find the profile a bit strange?
Thanks.

Ash

"Graeme" wrote in message
Evenin' All

I've just bought a couple of these SEALASTRIP uPVC things from Homelux. To
be honest I can't see how they will work to my satisfaction (I am very
demanding). The strip comprises a vertical part that is fixed to the tile
surface using a couple of lines of black gooey stuff. The bottom part of

the
strip rests on the bath edge. I can see that both of these contact points
will be watertight, but due to the profile of the strip, it would appear
that some water will be retained in a channel created where the vertical

bit
meets the arched bit. The profile is more of an 'h' shape than an 'L'

shape.
Has anybody here used these? Did you also find the profile a bit strange?
Thanks.

Horrible things. You can beat a bit of silicone sealant. If you want a nice
neat edge to the silicone round the bath apply masking tape and remove
before the silicone sets. I did this around the bath in my last house and it
worked well, looks great and gives a flexible seal.

Ash

Alan

I used a bead of silicone to provide the seal and then a bath sealing strip
to provide a neat finish, and additional seal - therefore two seals. There
is a shower over the bath and no leaks!

"Graeme" wrote in message
Evenin' All

I've just bought a couple of these SEALASTRIP uPVC things from Homelux. To
be honest I can't see how they will work to my satisfaction (I am very
demanding). The strip comprises a vertical part that is fixed to the tile
surface using a couple of lines of black gooey stuff. The bottom part of

the
strip rests on the bath edge. I can see that both of these contact points
will be watertight, but due to the profile of the strip, it would appear
that some water will be retained in a channel created where the vertical

bit
meets the arched bit. The profile is more of an 'h' shape than an 'L'

shape.
Has anybody here used these? Did you also find the profile a bit strange?
Thanks.

Graeme

"Ash" wrote in message

"Graeme" wrote in message
[...]

They might be horrible things, but when your bath is next to a wall which
isn't square (the gap is tapered), then the selaing strips do sort of hide
this.

Graeme

This is probably my favourite approach so far.

"Graeme" wrote in message
[...]

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

BigWallop

Graeme wrote:
Evenin' All

I've just bought a couple of these SEALASTRIP uPVC things from Homelux. To
be honest I can't see how they will work to my satisfaction (I am very
demanding). The strip comprises a vertical part that is fixed to the tile
surface using a couple of lines of black gooey stuff. The bottom part of the
strip rests on the bath edge. I can see that both of these contact points
will be watertight, but due to the profile of the strip, it would appear
that some water will be retained in a channel created where the vertical bit
meets the arched bit. The profile is more of an 'h' shape than an 'L' shape.
Has anybody here used these? Did you also find the profile a bit strange?
Thanks.

Just remember to fill the bath full of water, right up to the overflow pipe,
before you apply the seal strip. You should also have a silicone sealant
solution applied to between the bath and wall first, also using the full bath of
water method, as a backup seal just in case the strip pops off due to damage.

You shouldn't see huge puddles of water trapped in the little channel if you've
fitted the strip properly.

Stuart

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:38:23 +0100, "Graeme" wrote:

snipped
They might be horrible things, but when your bath is next to a wall which
isn't square (the gap is tapered), then the selaing strips do sort of hide
this.

I had the same uneven gap problem so what I did was fill the gap with
sealant then got some lengths of hard plastic tile trim from Homebase . I
think its actually intended to put at the top of wall tiles . I used white
to match the bath altho' you can get other colours . I cant recall the
makers name .
I then filled the bath and fixed the trim at an angle between wall and
bath using a mitre saw to cut the compound angle at the one corner between
the two walls .
It worked very well and continues to do so
Stuart

--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
Graeme

"BigWallop" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:
[...]

But the profile is 'h' shaped, not 'L' shaped. There is only one way to fix
the strips that I have. Everyone that uses these strips must be in the same
boat. Ah well, I await Homelux's reply.

Graeme

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]

Good idea. Did you stick the plastic tile trim to your tiles or the wall?
What adhesive did you use?

Stuart

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 19:43:51 +0100, "Graeme"
wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Both-I used silicone
Stuart

Sealing round the bath Mr Bean UK diy 17 January 30th 04 01:39 PM
tile quadrants as bath seal nomit UK diy 2 July 17th 03 01:32 PM