Crewood

Default Replacing a radiator.

Hello All,

I find I have to remove a large living room radiator to get rid of the
sludge build up that's in there, is it worth considering replacing the
radiator with a more modern one at the same time?

The radiator measures 1765mm long, has two panels that are seperated by
nothing but fresh air and was installed around 1970.

I look at old threads about replacing radiators but they all seem to be
from the early 2000s and I was thinking maybe the technology in
radiators has moved on since then.

REgards.

Set Square

Crewood wrote:

Hello All,

I find I have to remove a large living room radiator to get rid of the
sludge build up that's in there, is it worth considering replacing the
radiator with a more modern one at the same time?

The radiator measures 1765mm long, has two panels that are seperated
by nothing but fresh air and was installed around 1970.

I look at old threads about replacing radiators but they all seem to
be from the early 2000s and I was thinking maybe the technology in
radiators has moved on since then.

REgards.

Most radiators now have fins - on the back of single panel rads, and between
the panels for doubles. Doubles may have one or two rows of fins. Fins
increase the surface area for convection - and thus increase the heat output
for a given size of radiator.

If your current radiator has sufficient heat output, there's no real point
in replacing it with a one having a greater output - the room will get too
hot at the expense of other rooms. You could possibly regain some wall space
by using a smaller finned rad with the same output as the current one. Or if
the present one isn't sufficient, a finned one may be good idea - providing
the boiler, pump and pipework can keep up.

You really need to work out the heat losses for the room and go for a
radiator with an appropriate output to match.
--
Cheers,
Set Square