Default Cleaning or replacing self-bleeding radiator valve?

One of the radiators in my home doesn't seem to be putting out much
heat. It has one of those self-bleeding valves on them, and while the
others give regular loud 'hisses', this one gives a half-hearted
whistle every now and then.

I thought maybe cleaning/replacing this valve could solve the problem?
Is there any way to do this easily (without emptying the system). Oh,
and yes, both valves are all the way open.

Thanks,

-Mike

But if I remove it, won't the contents of the radiator empty out on my
floor?

Fogive me, but I'm a bit of a newbie and we always used to have the old
fashioned kind with a key you used to bleed them.

William Deans

Greetings,

Although there are a couple of ways to replace the valve without emptying
the system,
you might be SOL on changing the valve without emptying the system.

a) If the radiator is on the top floor, at the highest elevation, you can
close the water inlet valve and bleed the system until the expansion tank is
empty. You should then be able to replace the valve without getting too
much water everywhere.
b) You MIGHT be able to close valves to and from the radiator -- IFF both
exist. Sometimes there are valves which allow a heating zone to be
isolated. Sometimes two radiators are placed in series and both have a
single shutoff valve.

Hope this helps,
William

wrote in message
ups.com...
One of the radiators in my home doesn't seem to be putting out much
heat. It has one of those self-bleeding valves on them, and while the
others give regular loud 'hisses', this one gives a half-hearted
whistle every now and then.

I thought maybe cleaning/replacing this valve could solve the problem?
Is there any way to do this easily (without emptying the system). Oh,
and yes, both valves are all the way open.

Thanks,

-Mike

William Deans

Greetings,

a) Water will continue to drain until the system is no longer under
pressure.
b) Then everything at an elevation ABOVE the hole will drain.
c) If your system automatically adds water once the pressure falls below X
psi the system will continue to drain forever.

Hope this helps,
William

ups.com...