Arthur

Default Speedfit - Aborted holes

Hi all.
I drilled 25mm holes through the joists under the bathroom but
I will need arms like a gorilla to pull the 22mm pipe through.
I tried sanding the edge of the pipe and vaseline in the holes but still
too difficult.
The difficulty is caused by the holes not being horizontal.
I think I will have to block the holes. The only method I can think of
is 25mm (perhaps sanded or turned down to 24mm) dowel glued with Araldite.

Then I will cut slots for the pipework.

Am I doing the right thing or is there another technique I could try?

Arthur

Clive Summerfield

"Arthur" wrote in message
Hi all.
I drilled 25mm holes through the joists under the bathroom but
I will need arms like a gorilla to pull the 22mm pipe through.
I tried sanding the edge of the pipe and vaseline in the holes but still
too difficult.
The difficulty is caused by the holes not being horizontal.
I think I will have to block the holes. The only method I can think of
is 25mm (perhaps sanded or turned down to 24mm) dowel glued with Araldite.

Then I will cut slots for the pipework.

Am I doing the right thing or is there another technique I could try?

Are you trying to pull it through several holes at once, or just one at a
time. I've found the former next to impossible, but managed to do a run
through 8 consecutive joists by pulling the full length through each hole
individually.

Cheers
Clive

Newshound

Am I doing the right thing or is there another technique I could try?

Not worth worrying about blocking the holes, probably. Get yourself an angle
drill so that you can drill the holes square. There's a Ryobi kit with a
standard and an angle drill, plus a pair of 14.4 volt batteries and a big 1
hour charger for about £110 in Screwfix and elsewhere. Probably the best
tool I have bought in the last 20 years.

Colin Wilson

Am I doing the right thing or is there another technique I could try?

Bigger holes to take into account the angle of dangle ?

keng

Arthur wrote:
Am I doing the right thing or is there another technique I could try?

Plumber ?

or, 32mm bit and if you can't manage horizontal, use some sort of
template/marking gauge and drill from both sides = horizontal.

John Stumbles

Newshound wrote:
Am I doing the right thing or is there another technique I could try?

Not worth worrying about blocking the holes, probably. Get yourself an angle
drill so that you can drill the holes square. There's a Ryobi kit with a
standard and an angle drill, plus a pair of 14.4 volt batteries and a big 1
hour charger for about £110 in Screwfix and elsewhere. Probably the best
tool I have bought in the last 20 years.

or an angle adaptor for a regular drill and drill out the existing holes
more in the direction you want them, and larger: 25mm is too tight for
22mm pipe, 32mm is more like it. Polypropylene pipe (e.g. Hep2O) is also
a lot easier to work with in 22mm than PEX (e.g Speedfit) as it's softer
and more flexible. You may also find it easier to join under-floor
joints with compression rather than push-fit since you can get the pipe
into the fitting with practically no pushing force and see that you've
got it home before tightening up the joint, whereas with pushfit you can
have a devil of a job pushing the pipe into the fitting if it's already
tight in the holes through the joists.
Arthur

"Newshound" wrote in message
Am I doing the right thing or is there another technique I could try?

Not worth worrying about blocking the holes, probably. Get yourself an

angle
drill so that you can drill the holes square. There's a Ryobi kit with a
standard and an angle drill, plus a pair of 14.4 volt batteries and a big

1
hour charger for about £110 in Screwfix and elsewhere. Probably the best
tool I have bought in the last 20 years.

I am not too confident of leaving the holes unblocked as I opened up one of
them into a
slot and it is now about 1/3 of the joist heght in depth on one side.

Arthur

Frank Erskine

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:04:36 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

"Newshound" wrote in message
Am I doing the right thing or is there another technique I could try?

Not worth worrying about blocking the holes, probably. Get yourself an

angle
drill so that you can drill the holes square. There's a Ryobi kit with a
standard and an angle drill, plus a pair of 14.4 volt batteries and a big

1
hour charger for about £110 in Screwfix and elsewhere. Probably the best
tool I have bought in the last 20 years.

I am not too confident of leaving the holes unblocked as I opened up one of
them into a
slot and it is now about 1/3 of the joist heght in depth on one side.

Hmm - not too good. However, just glueing a bit of wood into these
holes won't dramatically increase the strength of the bit of joist. If
you feel that the joist has been severely weakened and is in a crucial
location it may be best to bite the bullet and reinforce that bit of
joist with a wood or metal splint bolted through the joist.

--
Frank Erskine
keng

Arthur wrote:
I am not too confident of leaving the holes unblocked as I opened up

one of
them into a
slot and it is now about 1/3 of the joist heght in depth on one side.

Forget all about ANY type of drill.

See my previous post and get a joiner as well.

Then, concentrate on your schoolwork and when you grow up and have a
house of your own, you'll be able to practice d.i.y.

B.T.W. does your dad know you've been messing about with his power
tools ?

John Rumm

Arthur wrote:

I am not too confident of leaving the holes unblocked as I opened up one of
them into a
slot and it is now about 1/3 of the joist heght in depth on one side.

Given that putting a pipe through a hole will do nothing to restore the
structural strength lost from making the hole, it would be best to not
make hole that you are not happy about leaving unsupported - since this
is what they will be, even with a pipe through it.

How close to the end of the joist are you? How long is the joist in total?

Although the building regs give guidelines about how deep holes can be.
and where in the joists you ought make them, they are making the
assumption the joist is correctly sized for the job in the first place.
This is often not the case in bathrooms where they may actually be well
over size simply for the reason they need to match all the others in
height.

--
Cheers,

John.

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:04:36 +0000, Arthur wrote:

"Newshound" wrote in message
Am I doing the right thing or is there another technique I could try?

Not worth worrying about blocking the holes, probably. Get yourself an

angle
drill so that you can drill the holes square. There's a Ryobi kit with a
standard and an angle drill, plus a pair of 14.4 volt batteries and a big

1
hour charger for about £110 in Screwfix and elsewhere. Probably the best
tool I have bought in the last 20 years.

I am not too confident of leaving the holes unblocked as I opened up one of
them into a
slot and it is now about 1/3 of the joist heght in depth on one side.

OK
Assuming you are not enjoying these posts from under your bridge...

Get a length of 4x2 about 30cm long. Drill clearance holes in it as
needed and bolt it to the side of the weakened joist (at the top ) with
coach bolts or even better studding, penny washers and nuts.

In future.

1) Drill the holes square and about 28mm.
2) use the Grey Hep2o rather than the speedfit stuff - it is much easier
to work.
3) to get a good grip on the pipe you can temporarily put a T on the end
to give you a handle, but you should not need to do this if you do 1 and
2. Also you would have to keep removing it.
4) You absolutely need the right kit to bore joist holes. A Cheap (£10)
gear box will not hack it IME. A mains or quality cordless right angled
drill is needed. You might get away with a quality angled gearbox but I
have not seen any of these around of late.

If the joists are spaced at 400 (cf 350mm) you might have room to get a
small mains drill and a hole saw into the gap to drill straight holes.

HTH

Lobster

Ed Sirett wrote:

1) Drill the holes square and about 28mm.

Using a square drill bit, naturally? ;-)
Richard

Forget expensive right angle drilling machines. Cut the shank off a
spade bit of suitable diameter such that it just passes through the joist.

Richard

--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info
Arthur

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Arthur wrote:

[...]

Sorry for being slow to reply.

The holes are all no nearer than 160mm (about 17") from the wall.
However, now that I think about it, the joists from the adjacent room are
protruding
through the wall some 10-12". The joists in question are 6" x 2".

If I saw the holes into slots and then use 2 screws each side of the notches
would that
be strong enough?
BTW, The pipes will run under 22mm chipboard flooring where only people will
impart weight.

Thanks.

Arthur

Accurate Holes in Concrete? (Slightly Bogus Metal Content) Doug White Metalworking 12 August 28th 04 06:20 PM
Fence post holes too big Lost-In-Translation Home Repair 4 June 19th 04 04:07 PM
Boring dog holes... Silvan Woodworking 5 November 4th 03 07:10 PM
Foundation holes jim Home Repair 0 August 14th 03 04:10 PM
screw holes in maple hardwood floor blue Woodworking 10 July 16th 03 07:18 PM