Frank Erskine

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:04:36 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

"Newshound" wrote in message
Am I doing the right thing or is there another technique I could try?

Not worth worrying about blocking the holes, probably. Get yourself an

angle
drill so that you can drill the holes square. There's a Ryobi kit with a
standard and an angle drill, plus a pair of 14.4 volt batteries and a big

1
hour charger for about £110 in Screwfix and elsewhere. Probably the best
tool I have bought in the last 20 years.

I am not too confident of leaving the holes unblocked as I opened up one of
them into a
slot and it is now about 1/3 of the joist heght in depth on one side.

Hmm - not too good. However, just glueing a bit of wood into these
holes won't dramatically increase the strength of the bit of joist. If
you feel that the joist has been severely weakened and is in a crucial
location it may be best to bite the bullet and reinforce that bit of
joist with a wood or metal splint bolted through the joist.

--
Frank Erskine