Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Default PC in the loft / Lounge.....

Whilst trying to find a cheap and cheerful base PC for work I stumbled
across the following beauty
http://www.quietpc.com/uk/tnn500af.php
A completely fan less PC case.
Seems just the job for the home entertainment lounge thing or for
bunging up in the loft where dust might be a regular problem.

Expensive but everso desireable!

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Mary Fisher

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
. uk...
Whilst trying to find a cheap and cheerful base PC for work I stumbled
across the following beauty
http://www.quietpc.com/uk/tnn500af.php
A completely fan less PC case.
Seems just the job for the home entertainment lounge thing or for bunging
up in the loft where dust might be a regular problem.

Expensive but everso desireable!

Available on 20 March.

My birthday hint hint ...

Mary

John Rumm

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Whilst trying to find a cheap and cheerful base PC for work I stumbled
across the following beauty
http://www.quietpc.com/uk/tnn500af.php
A completely fan less PC case.
Seems just the job for the home entertainment lounge thing or for
bunging up in the loft where dust might be a regular problem.

Expensive but everso desireable!

iMac Mini looks quite promising for some of those things... again no
fans etc, dinky size, comes preloaded with Apache etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

:::Jerry::::

"John Rumm" wrote in message
snip

iMac Mini looks quite promising for some of those things... again no
fans etc, dinky size, comes preloaded with Apache etc.

As long as you are happy with what you are given, hardware wise, AIUI even a
memory upgrade might mean a visit to a Apple-Mac dealer...

John Rumm

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
snip

iMac Mini looks quite promising for some of those things... again no
fans etc, dinky size, comes preloaded with Apache etc.

As long as you are happy with what you are given, hardware wise, AIUI even a
memory upgrade might mean a visit to a Apple-Mac dealer...

I believe they have said that you can open it without voiding the
warranty... not a great mac fan myself, but if you see it for what it is
(a very small neat unix box, with low power consumption and low heat
output, and good network connectivity), it does have some attractions
for 330 notes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy R

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
. uk...
Whilst trying to find a cheap and cheerful base PC for work I stumbled
across the following beauty
http://www.quietpc.com/uk/tnn500af.php
A completely fan less PC case.
Seems just the job for the home entertainment lounge thing or for bunging
up in the loft where dust might be a regular problem.

As this thing relies on a large surface area to dissipate heat I'd imagine
it's max ambient operating temp is probably pretty low. This might make the
loft impossible.

Rgds

Andy R

Stefek Zaba

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

iMac Mini looks quite promising for some of those things... again no
fans etc, dinky size, comes preloaded with Apache etc.

As long as you are happy with what you are given, hardware wise, AIUI even a
memory upgrade might mean a visit to a Apple-Mac dealer...

Actually, this month's Macworld has a delightfully uk.d-i-y-stylie
feature on opening up the Macmini, involving the use of two (for
comfort) filling/palette/scraping knives. Apparently, the Official Apple
Tech Note not only blesses this method of case cracking, but suggests
sharpening the blade with sandpaper!

(The two ploycarbonate(?) halves of the case snap together with no extra
fasteners, with moulded catches to hold the thing together. The trick is
thus to press the catches inwards enough to release them, without
cracking the plastick; and there are six on each side and four at the
front, or some such number. Doubtless an operation which an Apple-fixing
technician/enthusiast will quickly acquire, but which the owner of a
single Macmini will approach with some trepidation! The HD in these is a
laptop-style 2.5incher, so upping the internal storage is always going
to be pricier per-gig than for 3.5in desktop drives; external firewire
or USB2.0 drives might end up as a cheaper-and-simpler method. The
single RAM slot, of course, requires case opening to upgrade - and an
eBay sale or donation to another machine of the redundant, smaller RAM
module...)

Stefek

Cuprager

Snip
As long as you are happy with what you are given, hardware wise, AIUI even a
memory upgrade might mean a visit to a Apple-Mac dealer...

You have to be an Apple qualified tech to open the bulk of machines
without voiding the warranty. They do allow you to replace some 'user
serviceable' parts, like memory on a flat panel imac but no more... why
allow you to do it ourself when they can get £75 ph out of you??
Mike

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
. uk...
Whilst trying to find a cheap and cheerful base PC for work I stumbled
across the following beauty
http://www.quietpc.com/uk/tnn500af.php
A completely fan less PC case.
Seems just the job for the home entertainment lounge thing or for

bunging
up in the loft where dust might be a regular problem.

I'd be a little concerned at some components getting too hot. It deals with
the processor and display processor very well indeed but the memory, hard
drives and so on all depend on some air flow across them to prevent
overheating.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 23:23:44 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

a very small neat unix box,

With a laptop grade HD, only good for a limited duty cycle.

Ian Stirling

Mike wrote:

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
. uk...
Whilst trying to find a cheap and cheerful base PC for work I stumbled
across the following beauty
http://www.quietpc.com/uk/tnn500af.php
A completely fan less PC case.
Seems just the job for the home entertainment lounge thing or for

bunging
up in the loft where dust might be a regular problem.

I'd be a little concerned at some components getting too hot. It deals with
the processor and display processor very well indeed but the memory, hard
drives and so on all depend on some air flow across them to prevent
overheating.

An internal fan in a sealed case can really dramatically reduce spot temps.
It blows the heat round, and lowers the average temp by increasing the
minimum external case temp, and increasing the heat transfer from the inside
of the case to the metal of the case.
John Anderton

On 10 Feb 2005 20:29:30 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Mike wrote:

[...]

Also the case does seem to have a vent on the back and mounting points
for a large fan so it would be easy enough to put a large, low speed
fan in to get some airflow through the case if you were worried.

I wouldn't imagine that the fan would make much difference to the
noise level since the ones I've got (from quietpc strangely enough !)
are quieter than the hard drive.

Cheers,

John
Mike

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

[...]

Agree. But this overpriced monstrosity doesn't have one even as an option,
though I now note it does have an option for cooling hard drives.
Unfortunately this appears to take away heat from the mechanicals but leave
the disc processor and read/write head amplifiers uncooled.

10 out of 10 for idea, 4 out of 10 for implementation. 1 out of 10 for
price !

Loft Space Jon Rowlan UK diy 2 January 21st 05 07:02 AM
Loft Space just typed in a load of text and thought it would UK diy 0 January 18th 05 09:37 PM
Combi in the loft VisionSet UK diy 47 September 27th 04 10:38 AM
Adding CH to new loft - advice please [email protected] UK diy 19 January 7th 04 08:58 AM
Angle Iron for a loft Jim Stewart Metalworking 1 July 17th 03 11:47 PM