Martin Angove

Default Any opinions on Worcester 280 combi?

Just for information really. I've done the usual searches and found
little about this specific combi boiler - certainly nothing on the
worcester-bosch website (infuriatingly; I would have liked a PDF manual
or similar). Even on uk.d-i-y there are only a few mentions, usually
along the lines of "can I replace the PCB myself?"

Anyway... I presume this is a 28kW (input?) boiler. It is installed in
a house which my sister and her husband are in the process of buying so
I said I'd try to find out a bit about it. At the moment it runs
radiators in 3 bedrooms, 3 reception rooms, hallway and a kitchen, and
the usual complement of sinks. There is no bath - the previous (elderly)
occupant had an "easy access" shower installed with an electric shower.

My sister and husband are planning some work, including refitting the
bathroom (with a bath :-), and installing an en-suite with shower.

Questions:

1: Is this boiler going to be able to run a decent thermostatic mixer
shower (assume the mains water is ok)?

2: How about two showers (the children are growing...)?

3: How loud is this thing when operating? It is installed in one of the
bedrooms unfortunately.

4: No-one is going to suggest it would be best to rip it out and start
again, are they? I'd say it was only 15 or 20 years old at most.

Thanks for any comments / advice.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... Life shouldn't be an endless repetition of stale successes.
IMM

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
[...]

Yep.

2: How about two showers (the children are growing...)?

Two of about 6-7 litres/min, yes.

3: How loud is this thing when operating? It is installed in one of the
bedrooms unfortunately.

I wouldn't like to have it in the bedroom, unless in a well insulated
cupboard.

4: No-one is going to suggest it would be best to rip it out and start
again, are they? I'd say it was only 15 or 20 years old at most.

More like 10. As it is already there, they could run with it. Suck it and
see, as they have nothing to lose. They likelihood of a bath and a shower
being drawn at the same time may be remote in their house, so it will do
their requirements. If it doesn't do the job, then a high flow combi is the
best way out. A simple replacement in most cases.

Erik the Viking

[...]

The manuals are available on the Worcester-bosch web site, just not easy to
find.
Any thermostatic mixer taps need to combi-friendly, otherwise the water
heating *may* cut out if the flow rate drops (I believe this is true of most
if not all combi's).
Providing the water pressure is high enough, they work well for showers,
would be ok with two, providing nothing else is pulling hot water at the
same time.
Mine's fitted in a bedroom cupboard, it was the easiest outside wall and a
useless cupboard; after a week or so you don't notice it, it's also very
easy access for servicing, repairs etc should it every need it.
Providing it has been maintained correctly, it should go on for many years;
might be worth asking if there are any service records?