robboo

Default c/heating

My system is a Worcster combi boiler feeding 5 rads.Four of the rads
have got therostatic valves on them .My question is should the valves
at the other end of the rads be fuly open.
Regards
Set Square

robboo wrote:

My system is a Worcster combi boiler feeding 5 rads.Four of the rads
have got therostatic valves on them .My question is should the valves
at the other end of the rads be fuly open.
Regards

The short answer is "No"!

The slightly longer answer is that if you want your rooms to heat up evenly,
you need to balance the rads by adjusting the lockshield valves.

There's a lot about this in the DIY FAQs, but briefly:
This is best done on a cold day (in winter!) with the TRVs set at max (so as
to be fully open). You need to measure the flow and return temperature of
each rad - for which a non-contact IR thermometer helps enornously - and
turn down the lockshield valves on the rads with the highest return
temperatures. The aim is to get the same drop (typically 10 or 11 degC)
across each rad. *Then* you can adjust the TRVs to your liking.

Each time the system warms up from cold, the TRVs will initally be fully
open, and the correctly set lockshields will ensure that a proportionate
amount of heat goes to each room - rather than the rooms heating up one
after the other, which otherwise may occur.
--
Cheers,
Set Square