T i m

Default Dyson DC01 repair challenge!

Hi all,

A mate was cleaning his shop yesterday with a Dyson DC01 that he was
given that apparently had been handed across a few people before it
got to him.

He mentioned that it had no suck up the hose / wand part and several
diy type folk have looked at it but not been able to fix it? (Ok, on
the main floor part, no suck from the flexi tube).

So of course it's now in the boot of my car awaiting 5 mins for me to
give it a look.

So, a couple of questions ..

1) Are parts availiable mail order etc and if so anyone got a link to
a reliable one please?

2) Any predictions on what may be the fault and therefore what parts
(cost) might be needed please?

The person(s) who correctly diagnose the correct faut get a free go on
the thing when it's fixed (and huge respect from this list of
course!)!

All the best ...

T i m

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

"T i m" wrote in message

1) Are parts availiable mail order etc and if so anyone got a link to
a reliable one please?

I believe (with the usual "I may be wrong because someone's bound to make it
their life's work to prove me wrong" proviso) that only Dyson themselves
sell the bits: http://www.dyson.co.uk/range/access.asp

2) Any predictions on what may be the fault and therefore what parts
(cost) might be needed please?

I assume you've checked *both* filters? They get seriously clogged up if you
'oovering dust.

The person(s) who correctly diagnose the correct faut get a free go on
the thing when it's fixed (and huge respect from this list of
course!)!

No ta )

Si

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message

I assume you've checked *both* filters? They get seriously clogged up if

you
'oovering dust.

Should have added: If the filters are bunged it seems to affect the wand
more then the main sucky bit.

Si

Rosie

T i m wrote:

A mate was cleaning his shop yesterday with a Dyson DC01 that he was
given that apparently had been handed across a few people before it
got to him.

He mentioned that it had no suck up the hose / wand part and several
diy type folk have looked at it but not been able to fix it? (Ok, on
the main floor part, no suck from the flexi tube).

http://www.dyson.com.au/aftersales/M...pmanula_au.pdf

There are complicated instructions about how to dismantle the whole thing to
look for blockages in the wand part in the above manual.

I have to say though that IME of the DC-01 they were just plain CRAP and
lots of people found them nothing but trouble!

ROSIE

sPoNiX

www.cpc.co.uk among others..

2) Any predictions on what may be the fault and therefore what parts
(cost) might be needed please?

*If* it's sucking via the base but not via the hose then it'll be a
blockage somewhere, (or possibly a leak).

sPoNiX

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

"Rosie" wrote in message

I have to say though that IME of the DC-01 they were just plain CRAP and
lots of people found them nothing but trouble!

Ours has been fine for...more years than I care to remember.

Si

mrcheerful

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Have a look at the flap valve at the bottom, this is opened when the tube is
pushed down and should be sucked up when the tube is removed and the power
is on. I have often known a hair pin or similar to hold this open.

mrcheerful

Dave Baker

Subject: Dyson DC01 repair challenge!
From: T i m
Date: 28/05/04 09:17 GMT Daylight Time
[...]

I think there's a plastic U tube underneath that diverts the flow to the wand
part and that blocks very easily if anything over about 40mm long gets in it. A
match, nail, screw or similar will wedge in the U and then all the dust and
crap piles up behind that until it's jammed solid. Look underneath and it's an
easy fix.

Don't need a go on yours ta. Got my own one

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
Next time someone insults you remember it takes 12 muscles to smile politely
and try to pass it off but only 4 to reach out your arm and slap the ****.
geoff

In message , T i m
writes
Hi all,

A mate was cleaning his shop yesterday with a Dyson DC01 that he was
given that apparently had been handed across a few people before it
got to him.

He mentioned that it had no suck up the hose / wand part

Impossible, if you believe the Dyson advert

and several
diy type folk have looked at it but not been able to fix it? (Ok, on
the main floor part, no suck from the flexi tube).

Well the obvious answer is either a blockage in the hose (or at the base
of it) or a blocked filter. (Does it have a separate filter for the
hose?)

Have you tried blowing down the hose ?

So of course it's now in the boot of my car awaiting 5 mins for me to
give it a look.

So, a couple of questions ..

1) Are parts availiable mail order etc and if so anyone got a link to
a reliable one please?

2) Any predictions on what may be the fault and therefore what parts
(cost) might be needed please?

The person(s) who correctly diagnose the correct faut get a free go on
the thing when it's fixed

Err... I'll pass on that offer - I don't do hoovering

--
geoff
geoff

In message , Rosie
writes
T i m wrote:

A mate was cleaning his shop yesterday with a Dyson DC01 that he was
given that apparently had been handed across a few people before it
got to him.

He mentioned that it had no suck up the hose / wand part and several
diy type folk have looked at it but not been able to fix it? (Ok, on
the main floor part, no suck from the flexi tube).

http://www.dyson.com.au/aftersales/M...pmanula_au.pdf

There are complicated instructions about how to dismantle the whole thing to
look for blockages in the wand part in the above manual.

I have to say though that IME of the DC-01 they were just plain CRAP

You left out the word "expensive" there
--
geoff

T i m

On Fri, 28 May 2004 20:38:15 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
Hi all,

A mate was cleaning his shop yesterday with a Dyson DC01 that he was
given that apparently had been handed across a few people before it
got to him.

He mentioned that it had no suck up the hose / wand part

Impossible, if you believe the Dyson advert

My thoughts exactly .. ;-)

and several
diy type folk have looked at it but not been able to fix it? (Ok, on
the main floor part, no suck from the flexi tube).

Well the obvious answer is either a blockage in the hose (or at the base
of it) or a blocked filter.

I *think* the 'obvious answer' has been checked by the couple of folk
who have been before me re 'fixing' this thing.

(Does it have a separate filter for the
hose?)

Not sure (don't think so) but I've bought some new ones today before I
waste time 'fixing' it ;-)

Have you tried blowing down the hose ?

Em, no. Not had chance to touch it at all yet .. maybe tomorrow ..

So of course it's now in the boot of my car awaiting 5 mins for me to
give it a look.

So, a couple of questions ..

1) Are parts availiable mail order etc and if so anyone got a link to
a reliable one please?

2) Any predictions on what may be the fault and therefore what parts
(cost) might be needed please?

The person(s) who correctly diagnose the correct faut get a free go on
the thing when it's fixed

Err... I'll pass on that offer - I don't do hoovering

Fair enough Geoff .. but if you change your mind ..

T i m

Oh, and thanks for the 'stripdown' link (very handy)

I have the same problem with my Dyson, so I would love to hear the
solution

Dave Plowman

In article ,
T i m wrote:
1) Are parts availiable mail order etc and if so anyone got a link to
a reliable one please?

My local Curries has a vast display of them - which should act like a
warning to intended purchasers. So I'd assumed all do.

--
*I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn