Default 3way port repair?

hi all, i have a danfoss hsv3 valve on my central heating that is
malfunctining... it is fine when ch is on or hw and ch is on but not when hw
only should be on...it stays in mid position. other than draining down and
fitting a new one or changing the powerhead...are they repairable? i have
some skill with a soldering iron so would be happy to give it a go! anyone
help me out with some tips?

ta!

steve

Set Square

hi all, i have a danfoss hsv3 valve on my central heating that is
malfunctining... it is fine when ch is on or hw and ch is on but not
when hw only should be on...it stays in mid position. other than
draining down and fitting a new one or changing the powerhead...are
they repairable? i have some skill with a soldering iron so would be
happy to give it a go! anyone help me out with some tips?

ta!

steve

These things can occasionally get confused, and need a master reset!

The first thing to try is to remove *all* power to the thing. This means
turning off the isolator which provides power to the whole heating/hot water
system - *not* just turning off at the programmer.

With all power removed, does it return to the home (hot water only)
position? If it *does*, try using it as is for a few days - this may have
fixed it.

If it *doesn't* there is either a problem with the spring return mechanism
in the actuator, or the mechanical (wet) part of the valve is stuck. Remove
the actuator from the valve (2 screws, no need to drain down). Does the
actuator *then* return to the home position? If so, the valve is probably
stuck. You should be able to turn the spindle with your fingers or - at any
rate - with only *light* pressure, using a pair of pliers.

If the valve is stuck, you may be able to free it by rotating the spindle
back and forth. If not, it's a new valve - which *does* require a partial
drain down - unless you have strategically placed isolator valves.

HTH.

--
Cheers,
Set Square

R P McMurphey

Set Square wrote:

[...]

i havenet tryed turning off the power yet...will try tonight...but i have
taken the actuator off and the spindle is free...so if tonight with the
power off it dont move to hw only...then the spring return is faulty? is it
possible to repair?

steve

Set Square

R P McMurphey wrote:

Set Square wrote:

[...]

I'm pretty sure it *will* return when you turn the power off. From what you
say, it already moves ok from the CH to the "both" position - so the spring
is probably ok.

If the spring has come unhooked, you should be able to re-attach it. If it
is actually broken, I'm not sure whether you can buy replacements - I've
never tried.
--
Cheers,
Set Square