Default Poor RF Out Signal???

Hello All

Well Ive been tinkering about with getting sky to work on my bedroom TV
which is being piped from my digibox downstairs, I'm doing this whilst
waiting for my new kit to arrive to go the whole hog and wire most of
the house for TV/SAT/DVD etc. I am however having some picture issues
with the satellite channel on the upstairs TV!!

My setup is simple Satellite cable from the RF2 Output of the digibox
running outside and then into the bedroom TV straight into the back of
the TV. I also have a digieye gadget which I can use ok but have
removed during the troubleshooting process.

Initially I thought the problems were down to poor grade cable but Ive
just finished changing this (Satellite grade cable from B and Q, copper
braid and what looks like silver foil) and still no joy. Other analogue
channels are perfectly clear and the sky reception on the main TV is
also spot on. The cable run is approximately 5 metres or so. The
picture is not ghosting or anything but fuzzy or maybe you'd call it
grainy.

Any ideas? do I need a booster for this short cable run?

Im worried that when I come to run the RF Out up to the loft box when
my kit arrives the problem will only get worse by just amplifying the
crap signal

TIA

Richard

paul

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Go into the setup menu and enable the RF out

Paul

Its enabled already. my digibox by default has the RF out enabled but
not the power.
I had to enable the power for the digieye to work properly. I am
getting picture but very grainy.

Cheers

Richard

john

Richard

Go into the setup menu and enable the RF out

Paul

This is "system set up", 4, 0, 1 "select". I think this only switches the
9v power on/off, not the RF, but if the 9v is swiched on without the magic
eye in the lead, the TV antenna input circuit will short out the 9v supply
and may cause the RF2 to switch off althogether. So switch the DC off.
And while in set up, check that the output channel number is not the same as
a terrestrial channel and is being jammed.

Gary Cavie

In article .com,
says...
[...]

Can you take the main TV into the bedroom, and tune it in to work off of
the RF2 cable? That should at least prove whether it is either the cable
or TV tuning which is out. Alternatively leave the main Tv where it is,
and just run a cable from RF2 to the TV, and unhook the SCART, which will
prove whether the RF2 output is working OK.

There can only really be three problem areas, RF2, cable, or bedroom TV,
and trying the suggestions above should show which it is.

HTH

Gary

Kaiser

wrote in message
[...]

I have a similar setup with around 12 meters of cable, no problems at all
with the satallite picture, but grainy on Ch5 analoge. I put that down to a
weak signal on Ch5 as its from the same transmitter.

Im worried that when I come to run the RF Out up to the loft box when
my kit arrives the problem will only get worse by just amplifying the
crap signal

It sounds like cross channel interference as you say your analogue channels
are fine. The satellite channel is normally set to 68 so you may have
another channel very close to that frequency.

Gary Cavie wrote:
[...]

No chance it weighs an absolute ton cannot shift it anywhere without 2
strong adults!

Ok I tried doing what you suggested I took another portable downstairs
and tried rigging that up with a different cable to the RF Out still
the same. Also using that same cable ran it to the main tv after
disconnecting the scart same again (Good analogue, grainy sat)
I dont think its the cable seems to be getting same results with 2 made
up cables and an RF flylead, and its not the TV must be the channel its
tuned to which i think is 68.

Thanks Richard

Frank Erskine

On 3 Feb 2005 13:18:21 -0800, wrote:

[...]

It's very difficult to generalise without knowing actual signal
levels. From the point of view of signal/noise ratio it's better to
have any amplification before a cable run, but you have to be careful
to not overload any amplifier so as to produce intermods.

Do you have any idea of signal levels at the various points in the
system?

--
Frank Erskine

Kaiser wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

You were right on the money, just tried about 10 different channels and
found one which is now giving me superb reception.

Thanks everyone for all your input

Bed time now......

Cheers

Richard

Brian Sharrock

wrote in message
oups.com...

Gary Cavie wrote:
[...]

General comment - I bought a set of 'Sliderz' while at the
Ideal Home Show last year. They slip under the legs of
the TV (or whatever) and enable me to slide my TV -which
weighs an 'absolute' ton - and shift it anywhere with only one
(weakish) adult. The set consists of four sliders - but I keep
one permanently deployed under the Philips TV cum stand
rear- leg.
www.sliderz.co.uk it's a bit hard to reach to the rear
of the set.

Ok I tried doing what you suggested I took another portable downstairs
and tried rigging that up with a different cable to the RF Out still
the same. Also using that same cable ran it to the main tv after
disconnecting the scart same again (Good analogue, grainy sat)
I dont think its the cable seems to be getting same results with 2 made
up cables and an RF flylead, and its not the TV must be the channel its
tuned to which i think is 68.

Can't think why your system doesn't work. I have a similar set up.
The Sky+ box has my terrestrial TV RF-in. I take the RF2 out
and send it up to a loft mounted amplifier box from which RF
is distributed to each bedroom and the dining room - at the rear
of the house. On my Bush portable in the dining room - perhaps
twenty metres away from the amplifier box - I get four terrestrial
and the Sky+ box's 'selected' output.
IN a previous set-up my VCR -since discarded- defaulted to
an output channel that was adjacent to one of the local
BBC transmitter. The VCR's RF output was as you've described
when viewed on the TV -horrible! But a careful look-up
on the BBC's engineering sites showed the broadcast
channels used by the local transmitter and careful reading
of the VCR's manual revealed the closeness of it's default
setting - changing the output channel was relatively easy but
the instructions of how to do it where 'hidden' away (albeit
in plain sight). Once the VCR had been changed and the TV's
'button six' changed to detect the 'new' signal -all was tickety-boo!

BTW, the VCR didn't remember it's output setting; everytime the
power was switched off the ***** thing needed to be reset - You
know how easy it is to find the manual after your wife has
tidied-up.

HTH

--

Brian

Christian McArdle

Any ideas? do I need a booster for this short cable run?

It's as likely to be the opposite problem. Try adding an attenuator. Also,
did you choose a suitable RF output channel that didn't have a strong local
station on it?

Christian.