Clive

Default Drill out bolt - snapped bit

Had to drill out a bolt to remove (wouldnt turn at all!)

Head dropped of and item remove. I then had a small hole drill all the way
through bolt, but cant get last bit out. To make matters worse I have not
broken off a small drill bit in the hole!

Let job for today - going dark.

Any idea of how to proceed?

Alex

How about a spell checker for a start

Clive

"Alex" wrote in message
How about a spell checker for a start

problem with spell check is that it does correct if the word is wrong but
spelt correctly - i.e Let / Left

Capitol

It is sometimes possible to dig yourself out of this hole by using a
small masonry drill using the impact setting on the drill. This
fractures the HSS drill but not the bolt. Another trick is to add
grinding paste and a lot of oil to the tip of the masonry drill. Worked
for me!!

Regards
Capitol
Stuart Noble

"Capitol" wrote in message

It is sometimes possible to dig yourself out of this hole by using a small
masonry drill using the impact setting on the drill. This fractures the
HSS drill but not the bolt. Another trick is to add grinding paste and a
lot of oil to the tip of the masonry drill. Worked for me!!

If there's room, cut a slot in the bolt with a hacksaw, and unscrew it.

Clive wrote:
Had to drill out a bolt to remove (wouldnt turn at all!)

Head dropped of and item remove. I then had a small hole drill all

the way
through bolt, but cant get last bit out. To make matters worse I have

not
broken off a small drill bit in the hole!

Let job for today - going dark.

Any idea of how to proceed?

If we knew what the bolt was fixed into and how, maybe we could help.

ie vagueley generally speaking, its often poss to drill what the bolts
fixed into to free the bolt.

NT

dIMM

hit it wi the wellie........

keng

If there's room, cut a slot in the bolt with a hacksaw, and unscrew it.

I wonder why he didn't try that at the start, would've solved the
problem before it even arose .............. jesus wept !!

On 2 Feb 2005 15:05:09 -0800, "keng" wrote:

If there's room, cut a slot in the bolt with a hacksaw, and unscrew it.

I wonder why he didn't try that at the start, would've solved the
problem before it even arose .............. jesus wept !!

If a bolt has been rounded off by a spanner, and presumably mole grips
slip too, then you're hardly likely to be able to unscrew it.

MJ
Stuart Noble

If a bolt has been rounded off by a spanner, and presumably mole grips
slip too, then you're hardly likely to be able to unscrew it.

A brace and screwdriver bit is surprisingly effective. It's the impact at
the end of the swing.