Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Alan

Default Earth to Neutral differences

Hello,

I wish to use some X10 transmitters within some [existing] light switches
(like these: http://www.homeautomation.eu.com/category/6), however they
require a neutral connection as well as live - and as everyone knows this
does not exist in a typical UK light switch.
Dropping a new neutral wire to existing switches would be impossible except
when each room is being decorated.

So, I'm looking at alternatives. One idea is to see about using earth as
neutral for this as it's just a reference point for the X10 signal. As
netural will be commoned to earth somewhere (incoming supply? substation?)
what reasons are there not to do this?
We're not talking about putting a load between live and earth, just using
earth as a reference point for a signal to be transmitted on the live line
from.
Can I common up netural and earth in the CU?? I've yet to see what voltage
is between them but last time I looked a few years back it was only a few
volts.

Any other suggestions to get this working?

Alan.

RCD he say 'click' ? T i m UK diy 62 January 17th 05 12:33 AM
Two Circuits, Neutrals and Bare Wire Grounds Gathered, Problem? David W. Walters Home Repair 7 May 24th 04 03:14 PM
Electricity supply cable: why are E and N combined? Lobster UK diy 5 May 11th 04 10:55 AM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM
Ground to Gas Pipe?? w_tom Home Repair 4 June 23rd 03 09:14 AM