Rod Hewitt

Default Sprung slats for bed base

Having looked for a new bedstead, I have found that the majority come with
simple 'planks'. However, current bed has sprung slats and has proved to be
quite comfortable. Is it possible to buy the slats and suitable anchoring
mechanism, and if so, where?

(Changing size of bed so no, cannot graft old slats onto new bed! However,
the only workable option so far seems to be to buy two beds and perform
surgery.)

Alternatively, any recommended suppliers of bedsteads? (I am in High
Wycombe.)

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
simon beer

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
Having looked for a new bedstead, I have found that the majority come with
simple 'planks'. However, current bed has sprung slats and has proved to

be
quite comfortable. Is it possible to buy the slats and suitable anchoring
mechanism, and if so, where?

www.annalaurie.co.uk

Try this page at woodfit. the slats that go with them are a bit pricey
though at a tenner a throw.
http://www.woodfit.com/product_info....=871&Name =Sl
at+Holder+for+SB1530

Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...

www.seventh-heaven.co.uk - Mattresses and bases - Bed base
prices -Standard Deluxe sprung base (10cm deep).

Cor! We're sleeping on a fortune ...

Mary

When you say sprung do you mean slats with actual springs under?

Rod Hewitt

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
et:

I suspect that the 4'6" bed isn't the standard double any more.

Mary,

Having looked around at a huge number of beds and mattresses in the last
few weeks - 4' 6" is most definitely still described as double. However, I
do suspect that many people thin of 5' as a double though it is usually
described as kingsize. However, this does rather ignore continental size
beds such those from as Ikea.

Just realised that I didn't answer an earlier point. We want a wooden
bedstead but by far the majority, and especially many of the ones we
actually like the looks of, are plain planked. Therefore, we have been
considering the possibility of getting one and adding sprung slats. Until
we choose, it is impossible to know exactly how they are designed. Some
look as if they would be easy to do - others near impossible.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Mary Fisher

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message

Having looked around at a huge number of beds and mattresses in the last
few weeks - 4' 6" is most definitely still described as double.

I was surprised to read that it wasn't - in the url supplied by someone in
this thread about old bedsteads.

Mary

Christian McArdle

Having looked around at a huge number of beds and mattresses in the last
few weeks - 4' 6" is most definitely still described as double.

I was surprised to read that it wasn't - in the url supplied by someone in
this thread about old bedsteads.

Eh? According to seventh heaven, which concurs with my understanding:

Single 3' x 6'3"
Large single 3'6" x 6'3"
Small double 4' x 6'3"
Standard double 4'6" x 6.3"
Kingsize 5' x 6'6"
Extrawide 5'6" x 6'6"
Emperor 6' x 6'6"

I would also add small single at 2'6" x 6'3". The US has a completely
different system.

Most Victorian beds were today's standard double. The majority of antique
kingsize beds have been widened in modern times, sometimes spoiling their
proportions. I was lucky enough to find an original Victorian "kingsize".
However, in those days, the standard kingsize was 5' x 6'3", but luckily
some thoughtful previous owner had extended the rails by three inches, so it
takes modern mattresses (and people). Extending the rails is much less of a
problem than widening the head/foot pieces.

Christian.

ikea have sprung slats - springy pieces of wood between two rubber
retainer bands. I couldn't find them in the catalogue but they have
them in store for about a tenner each? (maybe 15). You need two side
by side for a double so you need a plank down the middle of your bed if
you don't have one already. Ikea have metric sizes so you may need to
cut them down.

Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Having looked around at a huge number of beds and mattresses in the last
few weeks - 4' 6" is most definitely still described as double.

I was surprised to read that it wasn't - in the url supplied by someone
in
this thread about old bedsteads.

Eh? According to seventh heaven, which concurs with my understanding:

snip useful stuff

I apologise, I didn't read that. What I did see was:

"Providing good proportions for the compact bedroom, the 4ft 6inches wide
bed, or standard double, is comfortable for two people. A handy size for the
guest room or the first full size bed for the teenager or young adult."

Although it does, as I see now (!) say "standard double" I remember being
surprised at the last sentence, which isn't what I'd have thought a double
bed was suitable for.

Again, I apologise for not reading it properly.

Mary

Christian McArdle

Although it does, as I see now (!) say "standard double" I remember being
surprised at the last sentence, which isn't what I'd have thought a double
bed was suitable for.

The first bed I bought as a young adult was MFI's cheapest kingsize. I'm
sure I could have wangled a double out of my parents had I needed a new bed
as a teenager, too. I wish I had, now.

Christian.

Andy Dingley

On 31 Jan 2005 22:51:31 GMT, Rod Hewitt
wrote:

Is it possible to buy the slats and suitable anchoring
mechanism, and if so, where?

Any decent timberyard (a real one that sells English hardwoods, such
as Interesting Timbers, near Wells). Get some ash, in suitably thin
sections. It's springy and far stronger than the usual rubbish
softwoods. Cheap too.

You don't need much fixing at the ends. Two fabric tapes stapled on
underneath to preserve the spacing might be enough, if the ends are in
a channel that prevents them moving sideways. Otherwise I make beds
with welded-on pins on the rails and a loosely drilled hole in the
slat. The spring comes from the vertical forces, not from any
sideways location.
--
Smert' spamionam
Rod Hewitt

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

wrote:

Is it possible to buy the slats and suitable anchoring
mechanism, and if so, where?

Any decent timberyard (a real one that sells English hardwoods, such
as Interesting Timbers, near Wells). Get some ash, in suitably thin
sections. It's springy and far stronger than the usual rubbish
softwoods. Cheap too.

You don't need much fixing at the ends. Two fabric tapes stapled on
underneath to preserve the spacing might be enough, if the ends are in
a channel that prevents them moving sideways. Otherwise I make beds
with welded-on pins on the rails and a loosely drilled hole in the
slat. The spring comes from the vertical forces, not from any
sideways location.

Andy,

Not sure that I follow you. The type that I am looking for (and have
probably found) are almost universally laminated beech. They need location
beacuse they are something like 30mm wider than the bedstead and hence bow
upwards significantly. I have never seen this without some form of positive
location mechanism. I think that you are talking about the plain 'plank'
style. But thanks anyway.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...catalogId=1010
1&storeId=7&productId=42683&langId=-20&parentCats=10103*13740

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk

Quickie review of General International "Universal Mobile Base" (50-025) Clint Woodworking 0 January 29th 05 06:37 PM
Novice seeks any tips for installing rubber wall base Dolchas Home Repair 2 July 4th 04 03:22 PM
Shower base repair Kevin Webb UK diy 0 January 19th 04 03:09 AM
Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1 Greg G. Woodworking 37 January 8th 04 02:37 AM
Porter Cable 690 router mounted to TS extension, do I use plunge base or standard Montyhp Woodworking 3 July 24th 03 02:58 PM