tarquinlinbin

Default Avice please-underfloor heating roomstats..

I'm in the process of refurbing my house. It has the dreaed underfloor
heating ala late 70s/80s genre.

Before i redecorate i want to change the outdated room stats.

see here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dooper786/rs1.jpg

It says on the data badge that they are Stachwell Type TM 1.6 and i
think its rated at 250v @ 20amps though it wont be switching 20amps,i
thought it was 2 amps but this doesnt sound much for an underfloor
heating element?? The wrtinig was small/difficult to read.

I'm thinking that i could just replace these with bog standard room
stats and conveniently,the wall boxes are standard so it seems
straightforward... Can anyone confirm the ratings for underfloor
heating ? theres one per room and i think the main fuse is 15 amp
though i might be mistaken

ta

joe

The Natural Philosopher

tarquinlinbin wrote:

I'm in the process of refurbing my house. It has the dreaed underfloor
heating ala late 70s/80s genre.

Before i redecorate i want to change the outdated room stats.

see here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dooper786/rs1.jpg

It says on the data badge that they are Stachwell Type TM 1.6 and i
think its rated at 250v @ 20amps though it wont be switching 20amps,i
thought it was 2 amps but this doesnt sound much for an underfloor
heating element?? The wrtinig was small/difficult to read.

I'm thinking that i could just replace these with bog standard room
stats and conveniently,the wall boxes are standard so it seems
straightforward... Can anyone confirm the ratings for underfloor
heating ? theres one per room and i think the main fuse is 15 amp
though i might be mistaken

Yu might expect anything between 500W for a bathroom, and maybe 5KW for
a big room.

if you figure on between 50 and 200W per square meter, as a rough guide
depending on how well or badly teh room was insulated...

I would hesitate to use a room stat to control more than an amp or two.
Maybe a big relay in the walls? Solid state triac ones may prove to be
ideal in this application.

ta

joe

Dr Evil

tarquinlinbin wrote:

[...]

Satchwel, which this is, made heavy contact stats for electric UFH. Best to
check the Satchwell site for a replacement, or ring their tech dept.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
John Rumm

tarquinlinbin wrote:

It says on the data badge that they are Stachwell Type TM 1.6 and i
think its rated at 250v @ 20amps though it wont be switching 20amps,i
thought it was 2 amps but this doesnt sound much for an underfloor
heating element?? The wrtinig was small/difficult to read.

Are you sure the stat is switching the full load of the supply to the
heating? Given that the heating is likely to be a bit of an inductive
load, that would tend to knacker the contacts on a ordinary stat PDQ.
Perhaps measureing the current flow through the stat would be a good
starting point.

--
Cheers,

John.