Victoria Clare

Default Strength of cornish bank

My driveway & garage is raised: at the front there's a retaining stone
wall, facing a sunken road and at the side there's a cornish bank
(unmortared stone & soil) facing a private lane (about 10-12 feet lower
than the drive).

Around the driveway there's bit of space filled with odds and sods -
shrubs, the gas-tank on a concrete plinth, and a small (oddly-placed &
leaking) pond.

Now, I have a plan to move things about a bit - pave part of the lawn to
allow a bit more parking space, move the gas-tank a bit, convert that space
to parking, etc.

However, I am very aware that I have no idea how much weight the cornish
bank can take, how much space I should leave around the parking bit to be
sure it's not at risk, whether taking some height off the top would make
things more stable (and thus allow an increase in the parking space) and so
on.

I'm not even sure who to ask about this. A builder ? A surveyor? a
landscaper? Someone else?

I'd like to take professional advice. The private lane is the only access
to the outside world for several houses, so I want to be quite sure I'm not
going to risk trapping all of the residents.

Victoria
BigWallop

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
40.23...
[...]

Start by having a read through this site:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/features.htm

The hints, tips and advice are all from the experts so they know how way and
what way these things need to be like. Lots of great help.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Victoria Clare

"BigWallop" wrote in
:

I'm not even sure who to ask about this. A builder ? A surveyor?
a landscaper? Someone else?

I'd like to take professional advice. The private lane is the only
access to the outside world for several houses, so I want to be quite
sure I'm not going to risk trapping all of the residents.

Start by having a read through this site:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/features.htm

Thanks, but already read pavingexpert - I suspect from his past usenet
posts that Tony would consider the whole thing even as it is now a rather
unprofessional construction (walls of mud & stones held together with
roots!), but that seems to be how things are done round here.

I really want someone who's done this kind of thing before to come and
look at the bank and give an opinion (which I'm prepared to pay for).

I'm hoping someone here will be able to suggest which is the appropriate
section of the Yellow Pages.

Victoria
BigWallop

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.20...
"BigWallop" wrote in
:

[...]

There are a good few links on the paving expert web site to people around the
country who trade in these sorts of things. So it might be a good idea to have
a look at some of them.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Nick Brooks

Victoria Clare wrote:
[...]

I sympathise. At the end of my garden is a 6ft drystone retaining wall
that is at leat 100 years old. It's very bulgy and full of roots from
nearby trees.

Your problem is that nobody with any sense will tell you it's OK to park
a car near the top of a structure like this. A structural engineer will
be able to design a wall that will be strong enough BUT it will probably
have to have a base as wide as one third of it's height.

Building such a wall is obviously a non trivial job. If the existing
wall is in good condition I'd be inclined to go ahead with your plans
anyway BUT keep a very careful eye on the wall. If there are any signs
of movement you'll have to take evasive action which could be
expensive/time consuming.

HTH

Nick Brooks

Jerry Built

Victoria Clare wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote:
I'm not even sure who to ask about this. A builder ? A
surveyor? a landscaper? Someone else?

I'd like to take professional advice. The private lane
is the only access to the outside world for several houses,
so I want to be quite sure I'm not going to risk trapping
all of the residents.

[ snip ]

I really want someone who's done this kind of thing before to
come and look at the bank and give an opinion (which I'm prepared
to pay for). I'm hoping someone here will be able to suggest
which is the appropriate section of the Yellow Pages.

Well moy lovrrr, stop talking about a "Cornish bank", you mean
a Cornish hedge. Are you in North Cornwall, West, or what? Your
best bet is to get in touch with a local who's been involved
in road maintenance/general building for a good while.

J.B.

Victoria Clare

Jerry Built ] wrote in
news:OPPYB5EIOKJRJSLULQCEFSKNFWLZHXKPNSKECMPU@zipl ip.com:

Well moy lovrrr, stop talking about a "Cornish bank", you mean
a Cornish hedge. Are you in North Cornwall, West, or what?

Tamar Valley

I don't know about the Cornish, but in Devon where I come from :-), I think
people would understand that when I say 'bank' I mean specifically the bit
of the construction made of earth underneath, rather than the entire
edifice, hedge & all.

I do intend to retain the hedge part of things (mostly hazel) even though
it is a bit of a pain to lay.

Your
best bet is to get in touch with a local who's been involved
in road maintenance/general building for a good while.

Yes - but what is a good way of finding someone who knows what they are
doing?

I suppose I could knock someone else's wall down and then lie in wait till
someone comes to fix it, but I feel there must be a better way ;-).

There is a similar construction elsewhere in the village, but I'm kind of
reluctant to ask the owners.

I happened to be going past the other day when they realised it was built
about 2 feet too narrow to get both their cars onto it and open the doors.
;-)

Victoria
Jerry Built

Victoria Clare wrote:
Jerry Built wrote:

Are you in North Cornwall, West, or what?

Tamar Valley

Hmm, Callington? Maybe bit far for MJD in North Cornwall.

I don't know about the Cornish, but in Devon where I come from
:-), I think people would understand that when I say 'bank' I
mean specifically the bit of the construction made of earth
underneath, rather than the entire edifice, hedge & all.

Devon people, furriners, build on earth!

I do intend to retain the hedge part of things (mostly hazel)
even though it is a bit of a pain to lay.

A layed hedge! You must be in a sheltered spot.

Your
best bet is to get in touch with a local who's been involved
in road maintenance/general building for a good while.

Yes - but what is a good way of finding someone who knows what
they are doing?

You could always stop when you see some work going that you like
the look of.

I suppose I could knock someone else's wall down and then lie in
wait till someone comes to fix it, but I feel there must be a
better way ;-).

I'm not sure I understand the description in your OP, can
you elaborate?

There is a similar construction elsewhere in the village, but
I'm kind of reluctant to ask the owners.

I happened to be going past the other day when they realised
it was built about 2 feet too narrow to get both their cars
onto it and open the doors. ;-)

Maybe a specification problem, or they changed their plans...
still, ooops!

J.B.