tarquinlinbin

Default Advice please-plastering...

Hello,
I have done some small scale plastering in the past eg fire openings
etc..

I have a bathroom which was fully tiles and looked horrible and dated.
I have knocked all the tiles off. The construction is timber studded
plasterboard wall so i am left with bare board plus areas of tile
adhesive snots. I intend to try and remove all/as much of the snots as
possible. I need to skim it to give a good finish for painting. Can
someone describe a good pastering technique?

My thinking is clean up the wall,make it as smooth as possible,neatly
fill in any holes/grotty aras,moisten the wall with some water,trowel
on the finish and smooth it with a trowel & derby..

When dry,rub down with one of those rubbing down trowels for as smooth
a finish as possible,,,,the area to be finished is only 12 sq m in
total,,

does this sound about right??

any other tips appreciated..

jo

Well,

For a competent DIYer with a steady hand (!), I'd say this amount of
plastering is quite do-able. This is pretty much exactly what I did in
a previous bathroom some years ago. I used premixed filling plaster
(Wickes et al do this) to fill in the holes, let it dry out properly,
then applied a coat of skim over the top with a trowel. Took me a few
days but I ended up with a very neat job.
best of luck with it Dave P

tarquinlinbin wrote:
[...]

Risk Management/Shop Safety and Advice (long) charlie b Woodworking 8 June 9th 04 09:51 PM
lime plastering - expected costs vs gypsum Stephen Fasham UK diy 42 May 22nd 04 03:59 PM
Plastering advice Wayne Whitney Home Repair 6 March 26th 04 04:28 AM
Old plastering and fireplaces Richard Owen UK diy 1 October 30th 03 12:42 PM
plastering JOE UK diy 2 September 19th 03 12:25 PM