Philip

Default TRV's on a new system

Hi,

I have recently had a new CH system installed. An Ideal Isar condensing
combi and 13 rads, 12 of them with Optima TRV's.

My question is - why do the TRV's act like on off switches? set to 5,
the rads are stonkingly hot. set to 4 and they are cold! Is the range
only operative between 5 and 4?

Cheers

Philip

Roger

The message .com
from "Philip" contains these words:

My question is - why do the TRV's act like on off switches? set to 5,
the rads are stonkingly hot. set to 4 and they are cold! Is the range
only operative between 5 and 4?

Assuming they are working properly:

5 will regulate to a higher temperature than the current room
temperature and the valve will close when the room (or rather the air
close to the valve) reaches that temperature.

4 will regulate to a lower temperature than the current room temperature
and the valve will only open and the radiator heat up when the room
temperature falls significantly below that lower temperature.

--
Roger

Set Square

Philip wrote:

Hi,

I have recently had a new CH system installed. An Ideal Isar
condensing combi and 13 rads, 12 of them with Optima TRV's.

My question is - why do the TRV's act like on off switches? set to 5,
the rads are stonkingly hot. set to 4 and they are cold! Is the range
only operative between 5 and 4?

Cheers

Philip

[Sorry about the previous empty post - finger trouble!]

They're operating based on the surrounding air temperature. If you open all
the doors and windows and let in the arctic air, they'll be stonking hot on
4!

Chances are that the room in question is picking up heat from other
surrounding rooms to achieve a level 4 temperature without that particular
rad needing to be on.

If they're *all* on 4, and are *all* cold - wait a bit for the house to cool
down a bit, and they'll all come on.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Rumm

Set Square wrote:

Chances are that the room in question is picking up heat from other
surrounding rooms to achieve a level 4 temperature without that particular
rad needing to be on.

If they're *all* on 4, and are *all* cold - wait a bit for the house to cool
down a bit, and they'll all come on.

Also check that you don't have the room stat set so low that it cuts off
the boiler before the rad valves get a chance.

--
Cheers,

John.