Lobster

Bob Mannix wrote:

We were well used to doing this with batteries when children, for fun (you
had to make your own amusement back then). One of my mates decided to try it
with the output of the 12V transformer we used to run my Triang train set
(TT gauge for the anoraks). When he was able to describe the experience,
some minutes later, he said it was akin to being hit by two torpedoes,
simultaneously, one on each temple. I was disinclined to try it.

That takes me back, too... my chum had a similar trainset, and I can
remember him playing with the transformer making pretty sparks by
touching the +/- terminals together. Hmm, he says, I wonder what would
happen if we did it with a mains cable?

IIRC the only belt he got was from his dad who hotfooted it upstairs (in
the dark, of course) to investigate the almighty bang which ensued.
Happy days...

David

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Bob Mannix wrote:
One of my mates decided to try it
with the output of the 12V transformer we used to run my Triang train set
(TT gauge for the anoraks). When he was able to describe the experience,
some minutes later, he said it was akin to being hit by two torpedoes,
simultaneously, one on each temple. I was disinclined to try it.

Of course an open circuit transformer is very likely to give considerably
more voltage than its rating.

--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andrew Chesters

Bob Mannix wrote:

We were well used to doing this with batteries when children, for fun (you
had to make your own amusement back then). One of my mates decided to try it
with the output of the 12V transformer we used to run my Triang train set
(TT gauge for the anoraks). When he was able to describe the experience,
some minutes later, he said it was akin to being hit by two torpedoes,
simultaneously, one on each temple. I was disinclined to try it.

My step-brother was persuaded (not by me, he hadn't yet joined our part
of the family) to test the scalextric track with his tongue. The only
reason he wasn't run over by a small plastic racing car (which was the
objective) was that he leapt 4' straight up, as the trigger was pulled.
(by #2 step-brother)