dmc

Default What plaster should I use?

Ok, the quick "lets redecorate the bedroom while you have a week off" idea
is going from bad to worse...

Anyway, current issue is that the old painted walpaper is bonded to the
topcoat plaster much better that the plaster is bonded to the wall.

http://bogit.com/2.jpg for example (and yes, I know that needs rotating -
I haven't got my step ladder stuck to the wall).

Under the topcoat plaster is what I assume is sand/cement render of some
sort. Certainly thats what it feels like. Also, it appears to have been
painted with PVA or similar before the plaster was put up as it seems
"shiny". http://bogit.com/1.jpg is a poor attempt to show this

I've plastered things before with reasonable success but I have a feeling
that this is going to end up needing almost a whole wall plastered which
is bigger than I have tackled before...

Before I go and start reading the back of the bags in wickes like the
amatuer I am can anyone give me a pointer as to what would be easiest to
use to sort this? I know wickes do their "one coat will solve all your
problems and an idiot could use it" white stuff but I'm not convinced.

Would I do better with "Wickes Universal finishing plaster" or "Thistle
Multifinish" for example?

Clues?

Ta,

Darren

PS. SWMBO won't go for the rustic look so no suggestions of "pva and then
paint it". I suggested that last night... :-)

Mike

"dmc" wrote in message ...

[...]

Nope !

"Thistle Multifinish"

Yes or preferably the proper topcoat and use board finish for any
plasterboard.

However I can't tell from the photo how deep those cracks are. If the
surface is moreorless flat and just needs a fine skim for painting then get
a bag of British Gypsum EasyFill from B&Q (£10) and mix it up a bit at a
time. Goes on a dream even for those new to plastering whereas with the
finishing plasters (which are a lot cheaper) you will need to practice a lot
more.

dmc

In article , Mike wrote:

Would I do better with "Wickes Universal finishing plaster"

Nope !

I thought that might be the answer :-)

"Thistle Multifinish"

Yes or preferably the proper topcoat and use board finish for any
plasterboard.

No plasterboard in this room. What is "the proper topcoat" then? I've only
got a wickes catalogue in front of me for reference at the moment.

However I can't tell from the photo how deep those cracks are. If the
surface is moreorless

Yeah. Should have mentioned that I guess. The cracks are in general tiny.
A couple of deeper ones but I can remedy those first.

... flat and just needs a fine skim for painting then get
a bag of British Gypsum EasyFill from B&Q (£10) and mix it up a bit at a
time. Goes on a dream even for those new to plastering whereas with the
finishing plasters (which are a lot cheaper) you will need to practice a lot
more.

Hmmm. Interesting. Is that something I'm likely to find in any B&Q warehouse?
I've not come across that before (and google is not helping much - or is it
not actually called easyfill?). I assume its the same techniques as normal
plastering?

Cheers,

Darren

Pecanfan

use to sort this? I know wickes do their "one coat will solve all your
problems and an idiot could use it" white stuff but I'm not convinced.

Would I do better with "Wickes Universal finishing plaster" or "Thistle
Multifinish" for example?

Wickes One Coat and Wickes Universal Finishing Plaster are the devil's work.

Hope this helps! :-)

Andy

John Rumm

dmc wrote:

Clues?

I would go for the Multifinish... having used it for skimming, I
actually found it relatively easy to get a good enough finish (certainly
for papering anyway).

PS. SWMBO won't go for the rustic look so no suggestions of "pva and then
paint it".

That is just unreasonable... ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

dmc

In article ,
Pecanfan wrote:

Wickes One Coat and Wickes Universal Finishing Plaster are the devil's work.

Lol! Several people have told me something along these lines. I'll avoid
then

Hope this helps! :-)

For a novice like me, anyone care to explain why they are so evil?

Darren

Pecanfan

Wickes One Coat and Wickes Universal Finishing Plaster are the devil's
work.

Lol! Several people have told me something along these lines. I'll avoid
then

Hope this helps! :-)

For a novice like me, anyone care to explain why they are so evil?

Darren

(I'm a bit of a plastering novice myself btw)

I've only used the 'One Coat' stuff a couple of years ago - it's like
plastering with putty.

As for the Universal Finishing Plaster (and I have first hand experience of
this from a couple of months ago) it doesn't stick as well as the Thistle
stuff, it's much harder to work with and you can't polish it. I thought it
was my dubious plastering technique at first - after several hours of
general swearing and shouting I went back to Wickes and bought the proper
Thistle multi-finish. Different kettle of fish altogether. UFP promptly
went in the bin.

The Thistle stuff seems to go off quicker mind so be prepared to work
quickly or mix smaller batches.

I'd also like to point out that plasterers are gods of this earth and
deserve every penny they get. Although I eventually managed to get a pretty
good finish, I still say never again (not for large areas anyway). I'll do
the bonding coat and all the prep work, but will always now pay a plaster to
come in and do the final skim. No matter how difficult you think it's going
to be, triple it... and add 10.

Andy

Mike

"dmc" wrote in message ...
In article , Mike

wrote:

Would I do better with "Wickes Universal finishing plaster"

Nope !

I thought that might be the answer :-)

Glad to see everybody else agreed. It really is crap.

"Thistle Multifinish"

Yes or preferably the proper topcoat and use board finish for any
plasterboard.

No plasterboard in this room. What is "the proper topcoat" then? I've only
got a wickes catalogue in front of me for reference at the moment.

I think it's called British Gymsum Topcoat or something like that. If not
available use the Thistle Multifinish but I've found it doesn't give quite
as good a finish for a non-expert like me, though I am sure a pro will
achieve perfection with both.

[...]

It's in the Warehouses, often next to the small sacks of plaster and the B&Q
value stuff. It's £10 for 10kg so is more expensive but you can mix it up
and put it on just like Polyskim. (In fact an old tub of that is ideal for
mixing it in)

plasterboard onto old plaster? David UK diy 6 December 22nd 04 05:18 PM
video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Tips Needed on Plastering Bodysnatcher UK diy 7 August 10th 04 01:36 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 10:48 AM