Mike

"dmc" wrote in message ...

Ok, the quick "lets redecorate the bedroom while you have a week off" idea
is going from bad to worse...

Anyway, current issue is that the old painted walpaper is bonded to the
topcoat plaster much better that the plaster is bonded to the wall.

http://bogit.com/2.jpg for example (and yes, I know that needs rotating -
I haven't got my step ladder stuck to the wall).

Under the topcoat plaster is what I assume is sand/cement render of some
sort. Certainly thats what it feels like. Also, it appears to have been
painted with PVA or similar before the plaster was put up as it seems
"shiny". http://bogit.com/1.jpg is a poor attempt to show this

I've plastered things before with reasonable success but I have a feeling
that this is going to end up needing almost a whole wall plastered which
is bigger than I have tackled before...

Before I go and start reading the back of the bags in wickes like the
amatuer I am can anyone give me a pointer as to what would be easiest to
use to sort this? I know wickes do their "one coat will solve all your
problems and an idiot could use it" white stuff but I'm not convinced.

Would I do better with "Wickes Universal finishing plaster"

Nope !

"Thistle Multifinish"

Yes or preferably the proper topcoat and use board finish for any
plasterboard.

However I can't tell from the photo how deep those cracks are. If the
surface is moreorless flat and just needs a fine skim for painting then get
a bag of British Gypsum EasyFill from B&Q (£10) and mix it up a bit at a
time. Goes on a dream even for those new to plastering whereas with the
finishing plasters (which are a lot cheaper) you will need to practice a lot
more.