Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
mich

Default Things stolen - not strictly DIY

but I hope people might know more than UK legal where trolls and silly
persons seem to be in residence.

I had a burglary/ car theft and lost all my cards ( a hand bag and two
purses and several other things)

The cards were all stopped as soon as I found out . The cheque book was
stopped as soon as I found out.

One of my building society accounts has been cleaned out despite my having
stopped the card to it.

I am having a sticky time in lots of ways. The banks seem to be applying a
policy of debit me first and ask questions after. So have the building
society.

This is especially worrying with my current account. Earnings go in there
and there is a substantial ( like £k's many) cos I is too lazy to shift it
to a deposit or building society account and bank is several miles away.

Now bank tell me that they are debiting cheques written by thief/ fraudster
after I cancelled both the cheque book and the card ( card is a switch card
and a guarantee card.).
They say they must honour the cheques because of the guarantee card - and
their fraud dept MIGHT see about re crediting me sometime! BUT they do not
promise!

Meanwhile these people seem to have had a field day on my cheques and card
and now the things are coming in.

Soon I wont have money to pay my own bills as these things are being paid
instead . This despite , as I said, my having cancelled the card and
stopped the cheques before these people even hit the shops on Sunday!!!!!

I am worried.

Does anyone know if it would be legal for me to clean out and close my bank
accounts ( I have a current account and a deposit account - closing the
second so they dont use my savings to cover stolen cheques) and open another
somewhere else?

Is it true that they ( me) has to honour these cheques just because they
got both the switch card and the cheque book ( bank argue they shouldn't be
together but they were not. They were in two purses in my property)
They were together in that they were both in my property.

But does this not miss the point anyway? Surely no mother F8cker of a
thief should be on my property stealing my things in the first place,
whether or not I keep them together is irrelevant.

It seems I am paying here because the banks are taking a stinging! It seems
these criminals have done over the whole area recently and a lot of fraud is
taking place ( info from girl in bank who says they are having a spate of
this right now)

So bottom line.
can I close the accounts ( not withstanding the problems of paying my
bills - all DD through the bank at the moment) and if I do can the bank
still make me pay for these stolen cheques?

It seems to me if I dont get my money first, it will al go to pay shops for
fraudsters and I will have been taken to the cleaners.