sploop

Default Dormer conversion insulation

Could try a "stabbing" at english for a start

"Dave Walsh" wrote in message

Hey all,
I need to get insulation for the attic. Its a Dormer conversion, now they
insulated the slanted ceilings just not the tops or the sides (alcoves) of
the upstairs. Now I hoping to use these as storage so I would need to
insulate the roof out to the eves. Can you tell me what insulation to use
and explain the vapour barrier to me, do I need one?. I was going to do
something like; get the insulation inbetween the joices of the roof,
leaving a few inches behind it to allow breathing, then staple a
polyurathene sheeting across the joices as a vapour barrier. I was going
to finish with some single ply boarding or something. Or should I just try
slabbing and plastering it. I want it pretty clean in there..

Any information would be a great help

Thanks all

Dave W.

John Rumm

Dave Walsh wrote:

I need to get insulation for the attic. Its a Dormer conversion, now they
insulated the slanted ceilings just not the tops or the sides (alcoves) of

Any information would be a great help

The ususal stuff would be foil faced urethane foam or polyisocyanurate
(PIR) foam. Trade names like Kingspan, and Celotex are usually banded
about.

To meet building regs insulation requirements you would typically stick
50mm between the rafters (leaving an air gap behind as you suggested),
and then another 30mm right over the top. Finish with plasterboard and
skim. Nett result id good insulation with loss of only 50mm ish of height.

Shop around for the foam, prices can vary by a large margin.

--
Cheers,

John.

Mike

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Dave Walsh wrote:

I need to get insulation for the attic. Its a Dormer conversion, now

they
insulated the slanted ceilings just not the tops or the sides (alcoves)

of

Any information would be a great help

The ususal stuff would be foil faced urethane foam or polyisocyanurate
(PIR) foam. Trade names like Kingspan, and Celotex are usually banded
about.

To meet building regs insulation requirements you would typically stick
50mm between the rafters (leaving an air gap behind as you suggested),
and then another 30mm right over the top. Finish with plasterboard and
skim. Nett result id good insulation with loss of only 50mm ish of height.

Shop around for the foam, prices can vary by a large margin.

You can also get Kingspan to special order which can be skimmed directly
which saves 10mm.

John Rumm

Mike wrote:

You can also get Kingspan to special order which can be skimmed directly
which saves 10mm.

I thought that was just PIR foam/foil backed plasterboard? i.e. it would
save some install time but the thickness would be much the same?

--
Cheers,

John.

Mike

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

You can also get Kingspan to special order which can be skimmed directly
which saves 10mm.

I thought that was just PIR foam/foil backed plasterboard? i.e. it would
save some install time but the thickness would be much the same?

No - it's the foam covered with a sort of fireproof 'cardboard' with lots of
holes in it for the plaster skim to grab on to.

John Rumm

Mike wrote:

I thought that was just PIR foam/foil backed plasterboard? i.e. it would
save some install time but the thickness would be much the same?

No - it's the foam covered with a sort of fireproof 'cardboard' with lots of
holes in it for the plaster skim to grab on to.

OK, not seen that then... How does it compare price wise to separate
foam and plasterboard sheets I wonder?

--
Cheers,

John.

Mike

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

I thought that was just PIR foam/foil backed plasterboard? i.e. it would
save some install time but the thickness would be much the same?

No - it's the foam covered with a sort of fireproof 'cardboard' with

lots of
holes in it for the plaster skim to grab on to.

OK, not seen that then... How does it compare price wise to separate
foam and plasterboard sheets I wonder?

I bought a large quantity so was okay but special orders will be more
expensive. Also it's nowhere as easy to get a perfect finish as the
plasterboard covered stuff so for most people it's only worth doing if the
head height is important.