Andrew Barnes

Default Lead lights

Some of the lead lights in my listed building are so badly buckled they need
replacing. I reckon I can make them myself, but have no idea where to get
the lead. Any ideas?

Thanks

Andrew

chris French

In message , Andrew Barnes
writes
Some of the lead lights in my listed building are so badly buckled they need
replacing. I reckon I can make them myself, but have no idea where to get
the lead. Any ideas?

Locally, lookup stained glass suppliers in yellow pages, or on Yell.com.
These will sell the lead came (the sections), plus anything else you may
need.

Mail order, one I know of is

http://www.hetleys.co.uk/

If you've not done it before then reading book on stained glass
techniques may be useful for tips

--
Chris French, Leeds
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:54:21 -0000, "Andrew Barnes"
wrote:

Some of the lead lights in my listed building are so badly buckled they need
replacing. I reckon I can make them myself, but have no idea where to get
the lead. Any ideas?

http://www.tempsfordstainedglass.co.uk
(their new website is broken, but the paper catalogue is good)

Bristol Creative Glass Guild
(web something too, but not from memory)

You may find a course worthwhile. You're likely to need some new glass
(there's always a bit that's had it) and doing this in a workshop lets
you pick a small snippet to match, rather than fooling around
mail-ordering.

You'll also need tools, and you won't believe the price of a soldering
iron for lead came work. Plenty of other weird, briefly-used, but
unavoidable tools too.

For a one-off, it's generally easier to have the pane rebuilt. If it's
just re-leading, the prices are reasonable. They start to climb if
there's much glass cutting or grinding to be done.