Nick Brooks

Default DIY

It's Monday morning and you lot have posted 594 messages since Friday.
Haven't you got any DIY to do?

Nick Brooks
BigWallop

Nick Brooks wrote to uk.d-i-y:

It's Monday morning and you lot have posted 594 messages since Friday.
Haven't you got any DIY to do?

Nick Brooks

It's all done. Fixed the starter motor in the car. Laid some beading
timber around the gap in the new laminate flooring. Fixed and cleaned the
windows. Done an alarm call-out at three in morning.

And still had time for a kipper at breakfast. :-))
Lurch

On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:13:13 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Nick Brooks
strung together this:

It's Monday morning and you lot have posted 594 messages since Friday.
Haven't you got any DIY to do?

For a change, no. I have been working Saturday though, but spent most
of yesterday in a pub. I've got to finish cleaning the van to go up
for sale today, and finish off the phone\tv\sat nav setup in the other
the van as well, so my diy starts today after a well deserved rest!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
I've got to finish cleaning the van to go up
for sale today, and finish off the phone\tv\sat nav setup in the other
van as well, so my diy starts today after a well deserved rest!

I hope you're installing a PABX in it too...

--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Lurch

On Mon, 17 May 2004 11:12:44 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Plowman
strung together this:

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
I've got to finish cleaning the van to go up
for sale today, and finish off the phone\tv\sat nav setup in the other
van as well, so my diy starts today after a well deserved rest!

I hope you're installing a PABX in it too...

Now there's an idea! I had thought that the next project for mobile
equipment would be to build a PC into the van somewhere, with RF
keyboard and mouse and feed the video into the TFT monitors AV input.
With a spare mobile and GPRS I can keep up with the newsgroups when
I'm working away, as I can't find a decent free newsreader for the
PDA, and web browsing is easier on a PC than the PDA.
I suppose I could incorporate a mobile VoIP device into that, and a
software PABX of somesort!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Nick Brooks

Huge wrote:
Nick Brooks writes:

It's Monday morning and you lot have posted 594 messages since Friday.
Haven't you got any DIY to do?

It was my birthday weekend. I was too busy drinking champagne to do DIY.

Lucky you. I converted a ton of sand, six bag of cement and 300
reclaimed bricks into a garden path

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Huge wrote:
It was my birthday weekend. I was too busy drinking champagne to do DIY.

But are you young or old enough to still celebrate birthdays?

--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Nick Brooks

Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:

It was my birthday weekend. I was too busy drinking champagne to do DIY.

But are you young or old enough to still celebrate birthdays?

Any excuse to sit in the garden in glourious weather drinking champagne
and you can count me in

Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in message
13.46...
Nick Brooks wrote to uk.d-i-y:

It's Monday morning and you lot have posted 594 messages since Friday.
Haven't you got any DIY to do?

Nick Brooks

It's all done. Fixed the starter motor in the car. Laid some beading
timber around the gap in the new laminate flooring. Fixed and cleaned the
windows. Done an alarm call-out at three in morning.

And still had time for a kipper at breakfast. :-))

Did you cook it yourself though?

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
Huge wrote:
It was my birthday weekend. I was too busy drinking champagne to do DIY.

But are you young or old enough to still celebrate birthdays?

I celebrate all the birthdays I know about.

I go through a lot of bubbly ...

Mary

BigWallop

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
13.46...
Nick Brooks wrote to uk.d-i-y:

It's Monday morning and you lot have posted 594 messages since Friday.
Haven't you got any DIY to do?

Nick Brooks

It's all done. Fixed the starter motor in the car. Laid some beading
timber around the gap in the new laminate flooring. Fixed and cleaned the
windows. Done an alarm call-out at three in morning.

And still had time for a kipper at breakfast. :-))

Did you cook it yourself though?

Mary

Hee Hee :-)) That I did Mrs F, that I did. Along with a lovely slice of buttered
bloomer and a squirt of lemon. Booteefull.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop

"Huge" wrote in message ...
Nick Brooks writes:
Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:

It was my birthday weekend. I was too busy drinking champagne to do DIY.

But are you young or old enough to still celebrate birthdays?

Many happy returns Sir. (BW raises glasses and clinks them together)

Any excuse to sit in the garden in glourious weather drinking champagne
and you can count me in

Who are you and what are doing in my garden?

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Lurch

On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:23:13 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Andy Hall
strung together this:

You can get embedded type PCs for companies like Advantech that work
pretty well for that. Small box, no fan, option cards to do the
interfaces.

Not seen those, I was looking at the mini itx type boards but I'm
always looking for new ways to do things, cheers.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
13.46...
Nick Brooks wrote to uk.d-i-y:

It's Monday morning and you lot have posted 594 messages since

Friday.
Haven't you got any DIY to do?

Nick Brooks

It's all done. Fixed the starter motor in the car. Laid some beading
timber around the gap in the new laminate flooring. Fixed and cleaned

the
windows. Done an alarm call-out at three in morning.

And still had time for a kipper at breakfast. :-))

Did you cook it yourself though?

Mary

Hee Hee :-)) That I did Mrs F, that I did. Along with a lovely slice of

buttered
bloomer and a squirt of lemon. Booteefull.

You can come round here any breakfast time. Spouse doesn't like kippers ...
:-(

Mary

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Mary Fisher

"Huge" wrote in message

Why ever not? I must admit I don't like making a fuss, but this one's
being going on for a week or so.

Mine always seem to do that ...

I celebrate all the birthdays I know about.

Me too.

I go through a lot of bubbly ...

Me too.

Another chap's tomorrow :-))))))))

Should be Wednesday - I remember it well, I was there - but I reckon that if
we start early it will give more time.

Mary

Lurch

On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:34:15 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Andy Hall
strung together this:

I have some mini-ITX machines that I use for firewalls etc. These are
mains run but low power.

That's another project, my firewalls and servers are currently running
on old PC's, luckily they're all in the garage, which is central to
the office and main route to upstairs for any cabling etc... but the
power consumption is something that I'm concerned about, especially as
there's 3 of them!

Then I have a small Advantech PC-104 type board that I'm using to
provide various things such as a serial console to various routers and
servers and to control equipment cooling.
This runs an embedded Linux and currently runs from a 2.5" HDD of
notebook type. Shortly it will all be shifted to flash drive
because the board will accept one of these and treat it as an IDE.
Not fast, but not needed for this application - equivalent to a 200MHz
P3.

Sounds like just the ticket, where might there be a supplier of those?
I haven't come across any after a bit of googling, found a little bit
of info on the machines though.

They make faster machines for use in cars etc. but they cost rather
more. Still small footprint though.

I'm after anything basic really, with a reasonable speed I don't need
it to do much, it's just a starter project really. If I'm going to do
it the way I wanted, with a high spec mobile machine, I'd buy a bigger
van first!

For car use, before now, I've used an old notebook hooked up to an LCD
display and that works pretty well.

Yes, I'm on the lookout for a decent laptop to use. The ones we get
back from clients are generally ancient machines of limited spec or
with terminal motherboard faults.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.