Default Floor Tiles as Skirting

Hello All

I have some small areas in my kitchen that will need skirting on after
I have finished tiling and I've been thinking of alternatives to the
wood/UPVC or MDF type. The floor will be granite tiles, Nero Assoluto
(Jet Black) and I think I may use these floor tiles for the skirting.
The tiles will be cut to size probably 5 inches high. The walls are
painted brilliant white.

Has anoyone ever done this and if so were they pleased with results?
Can anyone see any issues with doing this??

TIA

Cheers

Richard

nightjar

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All

I have some small areas in my kitchen that will need skirting on after
I have finished tiling and I've been thinking of alternatives to the
wood/UPVC or MDF type. The floor will be granite tiles, Nero Assoluto
(Jet Black) and I think I may use these floor tiles for the skirting.
The tiles will be cut to size probably 5 inches high. The walls are
painted brilliant white.

Has anoyone ever done this and if so were they pleased with results?
Can anyone see any issues with doing this??

My house in France has this everywhere, but done with ceramic tiles. Quite a
lot of them have cracked, apparently from impact at about the right height
for an upright vacuum cleaner to be the culprit.

Colin Bignell

Great, thanks. I too have granite worktops, well when they come I will
and I have ordered upstands too. Out of interest
what thickness are your upstands?

The tiles are 10mm thicknes and have a slight bevelled edge anyways so
they should be good to go.

I'll go hunt for some jointing compound

As far as grout goes, I have used grey grout in the past for my
hallway, is black grout that much difference in appearance. I thought
the grey stuff looked just like black and in the past most people I
have spoken with have used grey, is this just personal preference, or
is there something specifically different between black and grey grout
apart from the colour!

Cheers

Richard

Paul Giverin

In message , nightjar
writes
My house in France has this everywhere, but done with ceramic tiles. Quite a
lot of them have cracked, apparently from impact at about the right height
for an upright vacuum cleaner to be the culprit.

Its standard practice in most European countries IME. It looks quite
good I think and I don't know why its not done more over here.

--
Paul Giverin

Thanks all!

Cheers

Richard

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Andy Hall writes:
I've done this with slate in the utility room and it works well.

I have granite worktops and have some vertical upstands above worktop
height in a thinner version of the same material. For flooring, if
the material is only about 10mm or so thick then I think that that
would be fine, otherwise I think it would look funny if thicker.
Also I would suggest getting the top front edges eased *very*
slightly, maybe 3mm or so radius, to either a rounded or perhaps
bevelled shape as it will improve the appearance.

I'm about to do this. I'm thinking of recessing the tiles into the
wall/plaster so the edge of the tile is level with the plaster.
As the tile edges roll down a little, this will mean the tile face
is about 1-2mm proud of the wall. This also means I don't have to
use tiles with one rounded edge (which aren't available in the
style anyway).

When I was looking around at other floor installations to get ideas,
one thing I noticed in our office is that this has been done with
the carpet. The skirting is actually carpet, and it's recessed into
the wall by the carpet thickness making the front surface flush.
I wouldn't do that at home with carpet, but I liked the idea for tiles.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Ian White

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
When I was looking around at other floor installations to get ideas,
one thing I noticed in our office is that this has been done with the
carpet. The skirting is actually carpet, and it's recessed into the
wall by the carpet thickness making the front surface flush. I wouldn't
do that at home with carpet, but I liked the idea for tiles.

There's a European Commission building in Luxembourg where the carpet
continues on up the wall to dado height... aka "The Padded Cell".

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England

The floor will be granite tiles, Nero Assoluto
(Jet Black) and I think I may use these floor tiles for the skirting.

dad did that in a loo and it is ideal - hardwearing, washable,

attractive

Wouldnt that affect the flushing performance?

NT

Mitre saw for skirting and floorboards Martin Pentreath UK diy 14 October 25th 04 07:34 PM
feeding wires from/to behind skirting NC UK diy 7 August 28th 03 04:02 PM
removing skirting 'neatly' ! NC UK diy 9 August 20th 03 01:44 PM
Replacing skirting board Phil UK diy 5 August 11th 03 05:59 PM
removing skirting boards Roger Mills UK diy 3 August 4th 03 04:42 PM