Junior Member

Location: Wiltshire
Default Heat Loss Calculations

Hi All,

Does anybody know of any good Free Heat Loss programs around that they could recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Andy Hall

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:07:49 +0000, AndyHingston
wrote:

Hi All,

Does anybody know of any good Free Heat Loss programs around that they
could recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

The Myson one is fairly reasonable although not on their web site at
the present.

If you send me an email, I'll send you a copy.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Stumbles

wrote:

Hi All,

Does anybody know of any good Free Heat Loss programs around that they
could recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

The Myson one is fairly reasonable although not on their web site at
the present.

If you send me an email, I'll send you a copy.

Alternatively OpenOffice is free and has a spreadsheet, or you may
already have Excel :-)

IOW you don't need a program to do the calcs for you: you can do them
yourself, and a spreadsheet takes most of the graft out of it.
logized

"AndyHingston" wrote in message

Hi All,

Does anybody know of any good Free Heat Loss programs around that they
could recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

--
AndyHingston

This one is ok from Barlo radiators -
http://www.barlo.co.uk/pages/download.cfm

Dave

Andy Hall

wrote:

Hi All,

Does anybody know of any good Free Heat Loss programs around that they
could recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

The Myson one is fairly reasonable although not on their web site at
the present.

If you send me an email, I'll send you a copy.

Alternatively OpenOffice is free and has a spreadsheet, or you may
already have Excel :-)

IOW you don't need a program to do the calcs for you: you can do them
yourself, and a spreadsheet takes most of the graft out of it.

True, although you then have to find the tables of U values. Bear in
mind the formula or U value factors for floor heat loss of ground
floors due to perimeter and area.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Junior Member

Location: Wiltshire

Andy,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I am not sure if I need to configure things differently in the CP, but I am unable to send an email to you?

I have mine setup so that users can email me or send PM.

Regards

Andy
Junior Member

Location: Wiltshire

Thanks Dave,

I did find this one last night and it has most certainly given me some figures, although I had a lot of trouble with missing values when switching between screens.
Although I also read on this group somewhere that it may not be too accurate. I have added 20% for hot water and 10% for other losses to the final sum. Does anyboy know if these are the correct allowances?

Regards

Andy
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:26:05 +0000, AndyHingston
wrote:

logized Wrote:
"AndyHingston" wrote in message
..
-
This one is ok from Barlo radiators -
http://www.barlo.co.uk/pages/download.cfm

Dave-Thanks Dave,

I did find this one last night and it has most certainly given me some
figures, although I had a lot of trouble with missing values when
switching between screens.
Although I also read on this group somewhere that it may not be too
accurate. I have added 20% for hot water and 10% for other losses to
the final sum. Does anyboy know if these are the correct allowances?

Regards

Andy

There are a few points with these programs.

1) Check that the U values are accurate for the surfaces in question.
You can do this from figures in the Approved Document to part L1 of
the Building Regulations on the ODPM web site, for example.

2) The heat loss through air changes can be significant and difficult
to estimate. The programs give the industry standard values for air
changes for different rooms. Adjust them if you have reason to
believe that they are different for you.

3) The cylinder factor is there as a hangover from when boilers heated
cylinders by gravity all the time. If you are going for a system
with diverter valve and hot water priority, then you don't need this
allowance.

4) There are other possible factors like exposure of the house and
whether or not the heating is used intermittently. Add those in if
they apply.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:11:58 +0000, AndyHingston
wrote:

I am not sure if I need to configure things differently in the CP, but
I am unable to send an email to you?-

The CP?
-
CP= Control Panel for user settings on this Forum.

Ah. This is presumably on a web site access? Newsreader software
has different arrangements

-

If you follow the instructions in my signature and apply to my email
address it should work - i.e. andyhAThallDOTgl replacing the
capitalised bits with punctuation symbols.
-

I have mine setup so that users can email me or send PM.

Regards

Andy-Andy, not sure why I cannot see any mail details in your

signature...strange. Anyway, my email address is
if you could send the program there it would
be very much appreciated.

Since it's fairly large, I will use a service called Yousendit. This
allows me to upload, then you get an email and can download.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IR Heat loss survey? William W. Plummer Home Repair 0 December 29th 04 01:12 AM
Calculating window heat loss Duane Morin Home Repair 9 February 21st 04 03:42 PM
Heat Loss Calculation IMM UK diy 3 July 23rd 03 05:48 PM
heat exchanger calculations Ed Sirett UK diy 2 July 19th 03 12:49 AM
heat exchanger design calculations [repost] John Stumbles UK diy 6 July 17th 03 02:57 PM