andrewpreece

Default Soundproofing Site

Just thought I'd add this to the newsgroup on account of the regular
soundproofing queries that come up:-

http://www.noisestopsystems.co.uk/wa...roofing.htm#w1

Haven't looked into it deeply but it seems they do acoustic solutions of the
extra-stud-wall-of-plasterboard-to-cut-down-the-noise-from-next-door
variety.

The points I noticed were that there is such a thing as 'acoustic
mineralboard' which is useful to know, and also that they have sandwiched a
sheet of rubber between two sheets of acoustic mineralboard to give added
attenuation. This is basically the best way to stop noise when there is
limited amount of space available, since the limited mass of the mineral
board stops noise by reflection, and the rubber and the special properties
of the mineralboard absorb sound that makes it through.

There are still practical difficulties in mounting the boards so that sound
'leakage' paths do not develop, so negating some of the performance of the
composite boards.

Andy

James Perrett

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:13:18 -0000, andrewpreece
wrote:

[...]

I didn't have a look at the whole site but it wasn't totally convincing -
more aimed at the DIY'er who wanted a quick fix rather than serious sound
proofing. If you have to use stud walls then proper soundproofing involves
multiple layers of plasterboard with a flexible layer in there somewhere.
I would be interested to see an attenuation against frequency plot for
their treatments.

Cheers.

James.

window plugs for soundproofing xyz Home Ownership 9 May 31st 04 10:55 PM
OT- Site Yields Early Evidence of Fire Gunner Metalworking 2 May 3rd 04 05:16 AM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
finding buyer's agent after first look at a house Dan Home Ownership 21 August 23rd 03 02:59 PM