N. Thornton

Default Internal damp in stone built house in small room

Fwom:Paul )

Hi All,
I've googled and looked at many web sites but can't seam to find a
definative answer for a problem I have so I hope someone here can

help!.

I live in a 1930's stone built house and in the smallest bed room
we've always had a bit of damp showing as black on the wall paper,

this
small room does have a vent to the outside. I've tried the spray on
damp seal but this did'nt help too much. So I am preparing to strip

all
the wallpaper off and then "do something"?, what that something is

I'm
not sure. I've heard its best to then drywall it, but being about as
good at d-i-y as I am at grammer I'd rather not, is there another
solution?. Things I've heard are

1. Strip all the plaster and apply a "special" plaster
2. Cover the plaster with a polystiryen sheet before papering
3. Some special "plaster" damp paint.
4. And ofcourse drywall.

Please advise. Thankyou

Need to work out whats causing this damp first.

Stone conducts well, so condensation is always a possibilty.
Condensation is typically worse in outside corners.
OTOH if the wall is cement rendereed externally, the render is a more
likely cause of the trouble. Really you need to find out.

http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-...sing/forum2.pl

know a lot about damp and stone walls.

NT

more fun with air conditioning J Jensen Home Repair 93 September 7th 04 10:39 AM
Victorian damp and chemical DPC failure Andrew Collins UK diy 14 October 31st 03 05:21 PM
Internal room ventilation john UK diy 7 September 17th 03 08:11 PM
Solar pipe? for illuminating internal room David UK diy 4 September 8th 03 09:46 AM
Making a small room look bigger ........... Frank Z UK diy 8 July 19th 03 11:12 PM