Bob Ashworth

Default UK House prices?

Just heard about www.myhouseprice.com where you can see the exact selling
price of any house in the UK. Very handy when deciding whether to upgrade
your existing house or move to a new one.

Cheers
Bob

Mike Taylor

Obviously a not up to date site then
Just checked a laocal road to me where I know that a fair amount of house
buying and selling goes on. Only one on database and that is July 2003.
Doesnt give details other than if you pay your money we will tell you the
price paid.
On that one try I do not think it is that usefull being 18 months out of
date

in2minds

Obviously a not up to date site then
Just checked a laocal road to me where I know that a fair amount of
house buying and selling goes on. Only one on database and that is
July 2003.

I live in a semi rural village in South Wales and there are 14 houses
listed (that's just my street) including the 2 oposite me that sold most
recently

Doesnt give details other than if you pay your money we will tell you
the price paid.

£1 per house just for the "sale price" is on the steap side and
relatively useless on it's own.
I'd like to know how many bedrooms, etc. whether it has a garage or even
a garden...

LJ

Mark Hewitt

"Bob Ashworth" wrote in message
Just heard about www.myhouseprice.com where you can see the exact selling
price of any house in the UK. Very handy when deciding whether to upgrade
your existing house or move to a new one.

But it's not free.

Lobster

Mike Taylor wrote:
Obviously a not up to date site then
Just checked a laocal road to me where I know that a fair amount of house
buying and selling goes on. Only one on database and that is July 2003.
Doesnt give details other than if you pay your money we will tell you the
price paid.
On that one try I do not think it is that usefull being 18 months out of
date

Bear in mind that it takes a while for house sales to get registered
with the Land registry (months I think) for which you can't fault this
website.

Another new offering with the same service is at
http://www.nethouseprices.com/ - I haven't tried it but apparently it's
free for a limited period.

David

bill

"in2minds" wrote in message
Obviously a not up to date site then
Just checked a laocal road to me where I know that a fair amount of house
buying and selling goes on. Only one on database and that is July 2003.

I live in a semi rural village in South Wales and there are 14 houses
listed (that's just my street) including the 2 oposite me that sold most
recently

Doesnt give details other than if you pay your money we will tell you the
price paid.

£1 per house just for the "sale price" is on the steap side and relatively
useless on it's own.
I'd like to know how many bedrooms, etc. whether it has a garage or even a
garden...

LJ

Hi
It can be useful. In Scotland where houses are usually advertised with
"offers over" a given price and you are interested in similar
property/location, it can give you an indication of how high you have to
offer to make a succesful bid.
I do agree that they can be a bit out of date though
Bill

in2minds

It can be useful. In Scotland where houses are usually advertised with
"offers over" a given price and you are interested in similar property

there lies the flaw, how do you know it's a "similar property" when
you're only given the price and whether it's terraced, detached etc. ?

LJ

Lee

Huge wrote:

Where are they getting the data from, anyway?

Here probably:
http://www.landreg.gov.uk/propertyprice/interactive/
Click on "online Data" and you can search by postcode.

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
S Viemeister

Lobster wrote:

Bear in mind that it takes a while for house sales to get registered
with the Land registry (months I think) for which you can't fault this
website.

Another new offering with the same service is at
http://www.nethouseprices.com/ - I haven't tried it but apparently it's
free for a limited period.

I've just tried it.
I checked my area, and it found absolutely nothing, but -
www.myhouseprice.com found the last 4 sales (one of which I had been
unaware of).

Sheila

S Viemeister

S Viemeister wrote:

Lobster wrote:

Bear in mind that it takes a while for house sales to get registered
with the Land registry (months I think) for which you can't fault this
website.

Another new offering with the same service is at
http://www.nethouseprices.com/ - I haven't tried it but apparently it's
free for a limited period.

I've just tried it.
I checked my area, and it found absolutely nothing, but -
www.myhouseprice.com found the last 4 sales (one of which I had been
unaware of).

Hmm. I've just tried again - and found loads of information.

Sheila

James Naylor

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:

Bear in mind that it takes a while for house sales to get registered
with the Land registry (months I think) for which you can't fault this
website.

Another new offering with the same service is at
http://www.nethouseprices.com/ - I haven't tried it but apparently it's
free for a limited period.

I've just tried it.
I checked my area, and it found absolutely nothing, but -
www.myhouseprice.com found the last 4 sales (one of which I had been
unaware of).

Sheila

Ditto, the searching on www.myhouseprice.com is much easier to use.

OG

"Lobster" wrote in message
Mike Taylor wrote:
[...]

I've just signed up

"During our free access period users are restricted to a total of 500
record result pages with prices until 18 January 2005"

I did find a local house that sold for £66K in November 03, and then
sold again to £108K in August 04.

Nice result for someone.

though my Mr Suspicious side suggests it could have been a divorce /
inheritance tax fiddle - hence the initially low price.

Owain

"OG" wrote
| I did find a local house that sold for £66K in November 03, and
| then sold again to £108K in August 04.
| Nice result for someone.
| though my Mr Suspicious side suggests it could have been a
| divorce / inheritance tax fiddle - hence the initially low price.

If it was a bit of a wreck when it was purchased, and the buyer did it up a
la Property Ladder, put in a loft conversion etc - or even had the place
underpinned if the foundations were dodgy - then it would not be an
unrealistic increase. There might also be a reason why the local (micro)
market was depressed in 11/03 or buoyant in 8/04 - a nearby derelict site
redeveloped, or a new employer attracting house buyers - which would
exaggerate the increase above the normal market conditions.

Owain

Dave Baker

Lobster wrote in message
Mike Taylor wrote:
Obviously a not up to date site then
Just checked a laocal road to me where I know that a fair amount of

house
buying and selling goes on. Only one on database and that is July 2003.
Doesnt give details other than if you pay your money we will tell you

the
price paid.
On that one try I do not think it is that usefull being 18 months out of
date

Bear in mind that it takes a while for house sales to get registered
with the Land registry (months I think) for which you can't fault this
website.

Another new offering with the same service is at
http://www.nethouseprices.com/ - I haven't tried it but apparently it's
free for a limited period.

David

Very handy thanks. They've extended the free period until 24th Jan and you
get 500 free searches.

Lobster wrote:
Mike Taylor wrote:
[...]

Thankyou for posting that link. This is going to give me hours of fun

al

"Bob Ashworth" wrote in message
Just heard about www.myhouseprice.com where you can see the exact selling
price of any house in the UK. Very handy when deciding whether to upgrade
your existing house or move to a new one.

What a load of crap!!! The hell I'll pay £1 per house ... are you mad!?
Talk about trying to create a market for the hell of it and squeeze every
penny you can out of morons. The information isn't even of any use as
there's not enough detail for it to mean anything.

waddy

The Land Registry website is free and gives all the actual average sale
prices in your localities, admitted it is 3 months old, though at least
it is a true untinkered database.

Lobster

waddy wrote:
The Land Registry website is free and gives all the actual average sale
prices in your localities, admitted it is 3 months old, though at least
it is a true untinkered database.

"...actual average prices"... but that's just the average sale price in
your postcode sector, which is likely to cover thousands of properties
ranging from mansions to one-roomed studio flats! It will give an
indication of the overall state of the market in your locality maybe,
but certainly not of the value of your own property.

The site does let you get individual property info too, but you get to
pay for that though.

David
Mike

"Lobster" wrote in message
waddy wrote:
The Land Registry website is free and gives all the actual average sale
prices in your localities, admitted it is 3 months old, though at least
it is a true untinkered database.

"...actual average prices"... but that's just the average sale price in
your postcode sector, which is likely to cover thousands of properties
ranging from mansions to one-roomed studio flats! It will give an
indication of the overall state of the market in your locality maybe,
but certainly not of the value of your own property.

The site does let you get individual property info too, but you get to
pay for that though.

Where do they get this info. I realise all sales are registered with Land
Registry, must against many peoples wishes, but I assume this other site is
a privately run one.

Bob Eager

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:42:27 UTC, "Bob Ashworth"
wrote:

Just heard about www.myhouseprice.com where you can see the exact selling
price of any house in the UK. Very handy when deciding whether to upgrade
your existing house or move to a new one.

Would you like to confirm that you have absolutely no connection with
this site?

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

Al Reynolds

"Bob Ashworth" wrote:
Just heard about www.myhouseprice.com where you can see the exact selling
price of any house in the UK. Very handy when deciding whether to upgrade
your existing house or move to a new one.

I'd rather pay £2 to the Land Registry and find out
some more info about the house.

Al

Charlie

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:13:19 GMT, "al"
wrote:

"Bob Ashworth" wrote in message
Just heard about www.myhouseprice.com where you can see the exact selling
price of any house in the UK. Very handy when deciding whether to upgrade
your existing house or move to a new one.

What a load of crap!!! The hell I'll pay £1 per house ... are you mad!?
Talk about trying to create a market for the hell of it and squeeze every
penny you can out of morons. The information isn't even of any use as
there's not enough detail for it to mean anything.

er...you didn't notice it's free until the 24th January for up to 500
searches, then.

sigh.

Mike

wrote:

"Bob Ashworth" wrote in message
Just heard about www.myhouseprice.com where you can see the exact

selling
price of any house in the UK. Very handy when deciding whether to

upgrade
your existing house or move to a new one.

What a load of crap!!! The hell I'll pay £1 per house ... are you mad!?
Talk about trying to create a market for the hell of it and squeeze every
penny you can out of morons. The information isn't even of any use as
there's not enough detail for it to mean anything.

er...you didn't notice it's free until the 24th January for up to 500
searches, then.

Where does it say this ? I've just tried to use it and got all the way to
checkout without an offer of a free trial.

bill

"in2minds" wrote in message
It can be useful. In Scotland where houses are usually advertised with
"offers over" a given price and you are interested in similar property

there lies the flaw, how do you know it's a "similar property" when you're
only given the price and whether it's terraced, detached etc. ?

LJ

By viewing the house when it was advertised and keeping track of the ones
you are interested. You can then get a feel for how the asking price relates
to the selling price. It means that house purchase becomes a considered
process.

Bill

Tony Hogarty

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:55:41 +0000, bill wrote:

"in2minds" wrote in message
It can be useful. In Scotland where houses are usually advertised with
"offers over" a given price and you are interested in similar property

there lies the flaw, how do you know it's a "similar property" when
you're only given the price and whether it's terraced, detached etc. ?

LJ

By viewing the house when it was advertised and keeping track of the ones
you are interested. You can then get a feel for how the asking price
relates to the selling price. It means that house purchase becomes a
considered process.

Bill

Only if you have plenty of time! There is so much lag between a house
selling and then finally being registered on the relevant register that
the market conditions - particularly in a fast moving market - may well
have changed markedly.

--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
(Take out the garbage to reply)

Lobster

wrote:

"Bob Ashworth" wrote in message
.. .

Just heard about www.myhouseprice.com where you can see the exact

What a load of crap!!! The hell I'll pay £1 per house ... are you mad!?
Talk about trying to create a market for the hell of it and squeeze every
penny you can out of morons. The information isn't even of any use as
there's not enough detail for it to mean anything.

er...you didn't notice it's free until the 24th January for up to 500
searches, then.

Where does it say this ? I've just tried to use it and got all the way to
checkout without an offer of a free trial.

He probably confused it with http://www.nethouseprices.com, discussed
elsewhere in this thread - that does have a free trial.

David

Mike

"Lobster" wrote in message

wrote:

"Bob Ashworth" wrote in message
.. .

Just heard about www.myhouseprice.com where you can see the exact

What a load of crap!!! The hell I'll pay £1 per house ... are you

mad!?
Talk about trying to create a market for the hell of it and squeeze

every
penny you can out of morons. The information isn't even of any use as
there's not enough detail for it to mean anything.

er...you didn't notice it's free until the 24th January for up to 500
searches, then.

Where does it say this ? I've just tried to use it and got all the way

checkout without an offer of a free trial.

He probably confused it with http://www.nethouseprices.com, discussed
elsewhere in this thread - that does have a free trial.

Ah. Thanks. Obviously I wasn't paying close enough attention :-(

al

"Charlie" wrote in message

er...you didn't notice it's free until the 24th January for up to 500
searches, then.

sigh.

Back at ya ... check you facts first. That was the other site. And in any
case the point remains!!

Keith

"Tony Hogarty" wrote
There is so much lag between a house
selling and then finally being registered on the relevant register that
the market conditions - particularly in a fast moving market - may well
have changed markedly.

But it's a nice feeling knowing that similar houses to yours in the same
area recently sold for near 70k, when you've only got 18k left on your own
mortgage.....

Thanks to the OP of the link!

Home buying dilemma Arulmozhi Home Ownership 36 February 6th 05 04:29 PM
Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long) Cina Home Ownership 4 March 4th 04 04:31 AM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Repair 27 February 20th 04 02:50 AM
House Moisture JAG Home Repair 6 August 29th 03 06:53 PM
another 'house not selling' lament RPC Home Ownership 13 July 29th 03 11:51 PM