Default Screwfix to open trade counter in Bristol

I thought some of you might be interested to hear that Screwfix are
opening a trade counter in Bedminster (Malago Road), Bristol.

For some reason this 'news' seems to have been kept pretty quiet... not
even any mention on their website as far as I can see... This is
despite the opening date apparently being 21st Jan.

Finally, in case they're of use to anyone, the opening times will be
M-F 7am-8pm, Sa 8am-6pm.

Mathew

Andy Hall

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:37:10 +0000, Stefek Zaba

I thought some of you might be interested to hear that Screwfix are
opening a trade counter in Bedminster (Malago Road), Bristol.

Cooo! Noticed on the front cover of the Sfix cat which arrived by post
today that they're opening a trade counter, thought "no use to me or
98%+ of their customer base, bound to be somewhere far away".

Instead, they choose to put it a couple of miles away from me (and about
the same distance from at least one other uk.d-i-y regular). Count *us*
among the Privileged Two Percent!

Perhaps this is their way of persuading me never to repeat the
scurillous and scrophulous substitution of their final vowel by the one
just to its left on the QWERTY keyboard when we were all suffering their
delivery foulups in the summer? ... Ahh, sweet megalomania - like
paranoia without the worry....

Stefek

Perhaps it's to compete with Toolstation........

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
:::Jerry::::

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:37:10 +0000, Stefek Zaba

I thought some of you might be interested to hear that Screwfix are
opening a trade counter in Bedminster (Malago Road), Bristol.

Cooo! Noticed on the front cover of the Sfix cat which arrived by post
today that they're opening a trade counter, snip

Perhaps it's to compete with Toolstation........

They'll be opening a counter in Yeovil next..... !

Mathew J. Newton

Andy Hall wrote:

Perhaps it's to compete with Toolstation........

You could be right...

Given that the owner of Toolstation used to own Screwfix maybe they're
'getting him back' for setting up another business almost identical to
the one he'd offloaded?!

Andrew Gabriel

Here's a thought: I wonder if the local B&Q's in Bristol (we've got
numerous; the majority of which are 'Warehouses') will 'price match'

That reminds me, the large B&Q Warehouse on the west side of
Luton is closing down. It's already half empty.
I think the last day is currently planned as 12 February, but
it's had a couple of stays of execution before. The reason is
the building has subsided, and it has to be demolished and
rebuilt. I haven't seen a reopening date stated, but there
was some comment about see you again next year, so presumably
2006 sometime.

B&Q were trying to get temporary planning permission to use
one of the old car factory warehouses 2 miles away in Dunstable
for a year, but I've heard nothing about that recently, so I
guess it fell through -- traffic through Dunstable was a major
concern. (The irony is they moved to their current warehouse
from Dunstable originally.)

There is still a small B&Q the east side of Luton in Gypsy lane.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mike

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Here's a thought: I wonder if the local B&Q's in Bristol (we've got
numerous; the majority of which are 'Warehouses') will 'price match'

That reminds me, the large B&Q Warehouse on the west side of
Luton is closing down. It's already half empty.
I think the last day is currently planned as 12 February, but
it's had a couple of stays of execution before. The reason is
the building has subsided,

Must have used their 'own-brand' concrete :-)

IMM

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Here's a thought: I wonder if the local B&Q's in Bristol (we've got
numerous; the majority of which are 'Warehouses') will 'price match'

That reminds me, the large B&Q Warehouse on the west side of
Luton is closing down. It's already half empty.

Is there a closing down sale?

Mark Trueman

Theres been a closing down sale for the last year or thereabouts. Every
time they planned to close it, it stayed open for another few months,
then they restocked it, and sold all the re-stocked items off cheap
again (ad inifinitum)

I managed to get some bargains. At one point ALL wallpaper was =A31 a
roll, so i got a load of =A313 a roll wallpaper really cheap. Saw one
guy who must have bought enough super fresco to paper a small town. I
bet that went on ebay.

Got a load of flat pack stuff really cheap as well.

Subsisdance isnt the word. More like its falling into a giant effing
hole. If you let go of your trolley in the middle of the paint section,
it will roll to the other end of the store.
Pretty empty now though, not worth a journey out of your way.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:18:39 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Here's a thought: I wonder if the local B&Q's in Bristol (we've got
numerous; the majority of which are 'Warehouses') will 'price match'

That reminds me, the large B&Q Warehouse on the west side of
Luton is closing down. It's already half empty.

Is there a closing down sale?

Thinking of volunteering? It's not that far from Milton Keynes.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:18:39 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Here's a thought: I wonder if the local B&Q's in Bristol (we've got
numerous; the majority of which are 'Warehouses') will 'price match'

That reminds me, the large B&Q Warehouse on the west side of
Luton is closing down. It's already half empty.

Is there a closing down sale?

Thinking of volunteering? It's not that far from Milton Keynes.

Well spotted! It's not far from St Albans, Hemel Hempstead and Leighton
Buzzard either.

Tony Bryer

In article , Andrew Gabriel wrote:
That reminds me, the large B&Q Warehouse on the west side of
Luton is closing down. It's already half empty.
I think the last day is currently planned as 12 February, but
it's had a couple of stays of execution before. The reason is
the building has subsided, and it has to be demolished and
rebuilt.

"A DIY superstore hit by subsidence has felt the earth move again
– rocked by claims of a sex scandal involving its workers.

Bosses of retail giant B&Q this week launched an inquiry after
allegations that Luton employees have been vanishing during shifts
for "kinky romps".

The company recently announced it wants £34 million damages from
the designers and builders of its Dallow Road warehouse, because
of structural cracks caused by subsidence.

Now it appears the earth is moving again – this time due to alleged
staff sex sessions in the aisles and toilets."

http://www.lutononline.co.uk/viewart...ticleID=723406

Puts a new spin on 'Workmate' !

Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Mark Trueman" writes:
Theres been a closing down sale for the last year or thereabouts. Every
time they planned to close it, it stayed open for another few months,
then they restocked it, and sold all the re-stocked items off cheap
again (ad inifinitum)

Of the things I tend to be interested in, I found very little
being sold off cheap. I did hear staff talking about transfering
stock to the other (much smaller) B&Q in Luton, so they may not
be intending to completely empty it by selling the lot off.

Subsisdance isnt the word. More like its falling into a giant effing
hole. If you let go of your trolley in the middle of the paint section,
it will roll to the other end of the store.

If you look at the internal brick walls such as where the offices
are, I think the filler they've shoved in the cracks is thicker
than a course of bricks. At least they didn't have to go far
to find it. ;-)

Pretty empty now though, not worth a journey out of your way.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mark Trueman

The smaller B+Q has taken a lot of the stock from the closing one. They
have changed the layout a lot and it now seems to have a lot more
there.

Although they didnt have any mortice gauges in there when i popped in
the other day in search of one.

I wonder if there is a "Shagging Room" out back.? Based on the people
who worked in the old "sex hive" b+q, there must be some pretty
desperate people about.

ANCIENT MARINERS: Andean-Mexican seagoing trade Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 24 July 11th 04 04:54 AM
Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 09:19 PM
Have I upset Screwfix? PoP UK diy 38 February 22nd 04 11:03 AM
The Dubya's Steel tariffs declaired illegal Glenn Ashmore Metalworking 87 November 17th 03 03:55 AM