crb

Default Bonding of extraneous-conductive-parts

I am about to install a grab-rail and cabinet, both of stainless steel,
in my bathroom. My query is whether they should be included in the
equipotential bonding.

BS7671 is not specific in this regard. It lists examples of
extraneous-conductive-parts that must be included, and also some that
need not be considered, but offers no definitive list or
characteristics. The OSG includes "metal handrails"in the examples
of items that do not need to be bonded, but this is not mentioned in
the examples in the regulations themselves.

My view is that as these items will be isolated from earth and as there
is no foreseeable single fault condition or circumstance that would put
them at an electrical potential relative to earth (for all practical
purposes), then bonding is not necessary.

CRB

BigWallop

"crb" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am about to install a grab-rail and cabinet, both of stainless steel,
in my bathroom. My query is whether they should be included in the
equipotential bonding.

BS7671 is not specific in this regard. It lists examples of
extraneous-conductive-parts that must be included, and also some that
need not be considered, but offers no definitive list or
characteristics. The OSG includes "metal handrails"in the examples
of items that do not need to be bonded, but this is not mentioned in
the examples in the regulations themselves.

My view is that as these items will be isolated from earth and as there
is no foreseeable single fault condition or circumstance that would put
them at an electrical potential relative to earth (for all practical
purposes), then bonding is not necessary.

CRB

If they're fixed half way up a wall, away from any electrical source, then they
don't need to have an earth. If they are installed in a vicinity where they
are, or could, come into contact with an electrical source, then they do need
bonded.

Andy Wade

crb wrote:

BS7671 is not specific in this regard. It lists examples of
extraneous-conductive-parts that must be included, and also some that
need not be considered, but offers no definitive list or
characteristics.

But it does contain a definition, which includes the words "a part
liable to introduce a potential."

My view is that as these items will be isolated from earth and as there
is no foreseeable single fault condition or circumstance that would put
them at an electrical potential relative to earth (for all practical
purposes), then bonding is not necessary.

Agreed, on the assumption that they are fixed to dry insulating building
materials and not to, for example, any structural metalwork which may be
in contact with either earth or the main bonding.

--
Andy

Where do prof. repairers get parts? James Sweet Electronics Repair 9 September 21st 04 04:16 PM
Heads up on service manuals! JW Electronics Repair 10 August 4th 04 02:53 PM
Email List For Arcade Game Parts techforce Electronics Repair 6 July 30th 04 07:37 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Earth Bonding Water Heater Doctor D. UK diy 7 March 20th 04 09:19 PM