gna03633

Default Gas Safety Record Bonding Advice

Hey All

I have recently had a new kitchen installed, on the remedial work required
is says:

"Earth Bond Meter within 600mm of Meter with 10mm Earth Cable"

Presumably new regs etc want earth bonding on the Gas Meter (I have a
sticker about bonding on there), is this something I could do?. I can see
that the pipes are earth bonded to what Im not sure.

Should I be overly concerned about this?
Andy Hall

On Sun, 09 May 2004 23:16:22 +0100, gna03633
wrote:

Hey All

I have recently had a new kitchen installed, on the remedial work required
is says:

"Earth Bond Meter within 600mm of Meter with 10mm Earth Cable"

Presumably new regs etc want earth bonding on the Gas Meter (I have a
sticker about bonding on there), is this something I could do?. I can see
that the pipes are earth bonded to what Im not sure.

Should I be overly concerned about this?

Yes this should be done, and is an easy DIY job

Information at

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/5.4.3.htm

You don't have to go via the water pipe but you can.

Both services should be bonded to the main earth terminal at the
consumer unit.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle

Yes this should be done, and is an easy DIY job

And there must be an unbroken connection from the bonding point to the
earthing block. There must be no joined bits of cable or junction boxes. You
can use the same cable for bonding several locations, but mustn't cut the
cable, just strip off enough insulation in the middle to be held by the
terminal.

Christian.

Ian Stirling

Christian McArdle wrote:
Yes this should be done, and is an easy DIY job

And there must be an unbroken connection from the bonding point to the
earthing block. There must be no joined bits of cable or junction boxes. You
can use the same cable for bonding several locations, but mustn't cut the
cable, just strip off enough insulation in the middle to be held by the
terminal.

Random thought.
Would welding be acceptable as a method of joining?
Lurch

On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:35:51 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Christian McArdle"
strung together this:

Yes this should be done, and is an easy DIY job

And there must be an unbroken connection from the bonding point to the
earthing block. There must be no joined bits of cable or junction boxes. You
can use the same cable for bonding several locations, but mustn't cut the
cable, just strip off enough insulation in the middle to be held by the
terminal.

Unless you crimp any connections that you make that is.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

BigWallop

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:
Yes this should be done, and is an easy DIY job

And there must be an unbroken connection from the bonding point to the
earthing block. There must be no joined bits of cable or junction boxes. You
can use the same cable for bonding several locations, but mustn't cut the
cable, just strip off enough insulation in the middle to be held by the
terminal.

Random thought.
Would welding be acceptable as a method of joining?

Brazing, welding or soldering are also not allowed, although you can make a joint at
an actual appliance earthing terminal, a proper compression crimp connector or a pipe
strap, but nothing else is allowed because of the situation of a hidden junction box
with a loose or broken termination within it.

Microbore Earth Bonding Charles Middleton UK diy 16 May 10th 04 01:05 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Earth Bonding Water Heater Doctor D. UK diy 7 March 20th 04 09:19 PM
Unvented cylinder safety Christian McArdle UK diy 1 September 5th 03 09:57 PM
Safety spectacles, why so difficult? [email protected] UK diy 33 July 24th 03 10:55 PM