Rob Nicholson

Default Stopping thermostatic radiator valve

In another thread, I was asking about taking off a radiator that used a
thermostatic valve and the inherent risks of just relying upon the valve to
keep closed when the radiator is off.

Although the suggestion about using a small coin to force the valve off is a
good one, I've decided to try and get the right stop/end thingy.

Question is, what do I ask for at our local plumbing shop? It's a 22mm
fitting but that's about all I know :-) Is it a compression fitting or a
screw fitting on the little pipes sticking out of a radiator?

Thanks, Rob.

Stefek Zaba

Rob Nicholson wrote:

Although the suggestion about using a small coin to force the valve off is a
good one, I've decided to try and get the right stop/end thingy.

Question is, what do I ask for at our local plumbing shop? It's a 22mm
fitting but that's about all I know :-) Is it a compression fitting or a
screw fitting on the little pipes sticking out of a radiator?

Dunno quite how "standard" radiator tails are. When doing rad lifting in
previous bouts of decoration, I found my CH tails had screwed ends on
the ends of their lockshield and TRV valves. My plumbing-bits box had
some chromed 'ring nuts' - quite a thin wall, ridges for a spanner to
grip, and a 'folded over' top producing an Hole of smaller diameter than
the inner diameter of the threaded bit. That folded-over top was the
perfect thing to hold a PTFE-tape-wrapped One New Penny in place over
the TRV and lockshield exit...

HTH - Stefek
TMC

"Rob Nicholson" wrote in message
In another thread, I was asking about taking off a radiator that used a
thermostatic valve and the inherent risks of just relying upon the valve

keep closed when the radiator is off.

Although the suggestion about using a small coin to force the valve off is

good one, I've decided to try and get the right stop/end thingy.

Question is, what do I ask for at our local plumbing shop? It's a 22mm
fitting but that's about all I know :-) Is it a compression fitting or a
screw fitting on the little pipes sticking out of a radiator?

Thanks, Rob.

For the various thermostatic valves I have used they all came with a plastic
stop cap to use in place of the thermostatic head when it was removed
These were different for each valve brand.
Not sure if they would be available separately
I would guess that you would need to tell the shop what brand or take a
thermostat head with you

Now if I could only remember where I put mine

Tony

Christian McArdle

For the various thermostatic valves I have used they all came with a
plastic
stop cap to use in place of the thermostatic head when it was removed
These were different for each valve brand.

Not all valves use caps, though. My Invensys Lifestyle ones have separate
frost setting (*) and real off (0). A much better system, as the caps always
get lost.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

Our Siemens ones have that too ...... but they still come on if it's
very cold when they're set to zero.

Then they don't have the same feature!

The point of the Invensys feature is that they will never turn on and dump
the contents of your heating system onto the carpet. '0' is the "decorator"
setting. The dial goes something like:

6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - * 0

The extra long gap means that the pin is well pressed down, just like a
decorator's cap.

Christian.

Newshound

The point of the Invensys feature is that they will never turn on and dump
the contents of your heating system onto the carpet. '0' is the
"decorator"

They sound brilliant; where do you get them? Is that the TRV4 at about £20?
Is the Drayton the same?

Christian McArdle

They sound brilliant; where do you get them? Is that the TRV4 at about
£20?
Is the Drayton the same?

Technically, they are the range below the TRV. I believe they're called the
RT212 and are branded "Lifestyle", rather than Drayton, although they might
now show Drayton on the box somewhere.

Christian.

Rob Nicholson

the contents of your heating system onto the carpet. '0' is the
"decorator"
setting. The dial goes something like:

Ahh, that's sensible :-) Shame my doesn't have that :-(

Rob.

Lobster

TMC wrote:
"Rob Nicholson" wrote in message

In another thread, I was asking about taking off a radiator that used a
thermostatic valve and the inherent risks of just relying upon the valve to
keep closed when the radiator is off.

Although the suggestion about using a small coin to force the valve off is a
good one, I've decided to try and get the right stop/end thingy.

Question is, what do I ask for at our local plumbing shop? It's a 22mm
fitting but that's about all I know :-) Is it a compression fitting or a
screw fitting on the little pipes sticking out of a radiator?

For the various thermostatic valves I have used they all came with a plastic
stop cap to use in place of the thermostatic head when it was removed
These were different for each valve brand.

I was just about to respond with the same advice, but as someone else
has already done so I won't!

Not sure if they would be available separately

Doubt it very much.

A thought though - why not post the details of your TRVs here, maybe
someone has a spare cap they don't need? eg, I've got several from last
time we had a CH system, with matching TRVs - I don't need all those
caps (so why did I keep them? and more to the point, where did I put
them :-) )

David
Rob Nicholson

Now if I could only remember where I put mine

All moot anyway as we stressed the pathetic 10mm pipe undoing the release
nut so it started leaking where the copper pipe goes into the valve. So
ended up draining the system, lopping the pipe off and soldering the end
anyway.

Ho hum...

Junior Member

Thumbs up

Just found this old post and I'm grateful for it! I just got a Drayton RT212 and I was wondering how to lock it shut, as it doesn't come with a safety cap. Their instructions are pants too! Your insight i.e.

6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - * 0

allowed me to find the off position.

For anyone else thats interested, when you reach the star setting keep turning (need a bit more force after the * position), and eventually you come to the hallowed '0'/decorator position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian McArdle
Our Siemens ones have that too ...... but they still come on if it's
very cold when they're set to zero.

Then they don't have the same feature!

The point of the Invensys feature is that they will never turn on and dump
the contents of your heating system onto the carpet. '0' is the "decorator"
setting. The dial goes something like:

6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - * 0

The extra long gap means that the pin is well pressed down, just like a
decorator's cap.

Christian.

Last edited by Dysanovic : October 15th 06 at 12:03 AM