N. Thornton

Default De-humidifier question

Fwom:Syke )

We experience slight condensation problems in our 3-bedroom,

centrally (oil)
heated, double-glazed house. The windows are aluminium frames. We

are
thinking of a de-humidifier and see that Ebac are offering a 28 day

trial of
one of these. We are inclined to the 2650e model, which incorporates

an
air-purifier unit as well.

Does anyone have experince of this or similar?

yep

Would it have to be moved
from room to room or would some central position be all right?

no, yep

Are they
very noisy?

no theyre quiet, but not silent. Think PC. Suggest locating unit in
kitchen or bathroom, not in bedroom.

Air purifier waste of time.

Be sure to get a humidistatic one, makes no sense to buy cheaper
non-stat ones.

Second hand ones are £15 to £60.

Fwom:Fred )
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 10:10:30 -0000, Syke wrote:

The first solution I considered was, in fact, extractor fans, but
would say, two of these, (kitchen and bathroom), really be cheaper
and more flexible than a dehumidifier in terms of capital cost
anyway?

no, purchase and fit for 2 fans costs more. Dehumidifiers you just
plug in.

Extractors come in at around £30 each but take a few tens of watts

for
the time they are on more or less fit and forget. A dehumidfier takes
a few hundred watts

right, but dont overlook the facts that
a) the fans chuck hundreds of watts worth of heat outside apiece when
they run, the dehumidifier doesnt.
b) fans arent free to fit
c) fans are usually noisier
d) and in my experience not particularly effective unless run for long
periods, chucking large amounts of heat out.

And since one can fit a secondary lock to a window to enable it to be
locked half an inch ajar, fans are a doubly dud option.

and generally speaking will need to be on for much longer periods

not found that myself, quite the opposite.

and need more looking after, emptying the container,
cleaning the filters etc.

just pouring the gallon container into the sink once every 2-3 weeks.
Dont get one with a filter.

I have measured mine to take 200 watts. I think the posters here are
generally correct. You should get rid of the problem rather that

treating
the symptoms.

Depends, not always. If the excess damp results from frequent shower
use, you cant really elmiinate that at source, and a dehumidifier is
generally the best option.

NT

Post a fowwow-up to dis message

Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
ancient Williamson humidifier, what now? G. Schadow Home Repair 0 November 29th 03 07:52 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM