Aldrich

Default Replace Halogen downlighters?

Hi

We have two 100W 240V 80mm halogen downlighters in our bathroom. I know
little about lighting and would welcome some advice about whether or not to
replace the bulbs or the units. My goal would be to minimise running costs
while maintaining an adequate lighting level. Specifically, my questions

1) Are 240V energy saver bulbs available to directly replace the halogen
lamps?

2) Are Extra Low Voltage lighting units available that would fit the
existing apertures in the ceiling and, if so, would such lighting be more
economic than the existing mains voltage units?

I will be grateful for any recommendations of equipment and suppliers.

David

Mike

"Aldrich" wrote in message
Hi

We have two 100W 240V 80mm halogen downlighters in our bathroom. I know
little about lighting and would welcome some advice about whether or not

replace the bulbs or the units. My goal would be to minimise running

costs
while maintaining an adequate lighting level. Specifically, my questions

1) Are 240V energy saver bulbs available to directly replace the halogen
lamps?

Yes - but they will be not as bright. Also I expect your existing
downlighters are not halogens though I may be wrong. All our RO80s are
normal incandenscents and after trying a CFL we went back to them.

2) Are Extra Low Voltage lighting units available that would fit the
existing apertures in the ceiling and, if so, would such lighting be more
economic than the existing mains voltage units?

Not that I've seen. And if they did they would probably use more power, not
less.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mike" writes:

"Aldrich" wrote in message
Hi

We have two 100W 240V 80mm halogen downlighters in our bathroom. I know
little about lighting and would welcome some advice about whether or not

replace the bulbs or the units. My goal would be to minimise running

costs
while maintaining an adequate lighting level. Specifically, my questions

1) Are 240V energy saver bulbs available to directly replace the halogen
lamps?

Yes - but they will be not as bright. Also I expect your existing
downlighters are not halogens though I may be wrong. All our RO80s are
normal incandenscents and after trying a CFL we went back to them.

The GE Genura 23W is designed as an R80 replacement lamp.
It is rather unusual in being an electrodeless fluorescent
lamp. This means its life is not at all reduced by frequent
switching -- actually its life is pretty much dictated by the
life of the integral control gear which in turn is dependant
on the running temperature, but can easily exceed the life of
most other compact fluorescents if adiquately ventilated. It
does however have a rather noticable run-up time of a couple
of minutes, with initial light output only about half the final
level. The GE Genura is not cheap, but if you do the calculations
verses a 100W R80, the savings are still substantial.

--
Andrew Gabriel
The Natural Philosopher

Aldrich wrote:

Hi

We have two 100W 240V 80mm halogen downlighters in our bathroom. I know
little about lighting and would welcome some advice about whether or not to
replace the bulbs or the units. My goal would be to minimise running costs
while maintaining an adequate lighting level. Specifically, my questions

1) Are 240V energy saver bulbs available to directly replace the halogen
lamps?

2) Are Extra Low Voltage lighting units available that would fit the
existing apertures in the ceiling and, if so, would such lighting be more
economic than the existing mains voltage units?

In tems of bulb replacement certainly.

Its no as though the massive amont of time you spend having a shower is
going to adversely affect the worlds CO2 levels is it?

I will be grateful for any recommendations of equipment and suppliers.

Get bathroom capable 50W LV units and small transformers to go with

Try Newey And Eyre - usually in your nearest town,

David

David M

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Aldrich wrote:

[...]

I can't understand why anyone puts in standard 50W halogens, stick with 35W
max. and you will not notice any significant difference.

The only reason to go with 50W bulbs is if you go for the ones with an extra
wide beam spread ,upto 60degrees IIRC.

cheers

David

Lurch

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:37:09 +0000, David M
strung together this:

I can't understand why anyone puts in standard 50W halogens, stick with 35W
max. and you will not notice any significant difference.

Well, 50W's are 15 brighter. ;-)
--

SJW
The Natural Philosopher

Aldrich wrote:

[...]

Precisely. The bulbs are IIRC cheaper as well.

cheers

David